Colorado Unit 444

OZapo

FNG
Hello all,

Last year my hunting partner and I got talked into hunting unit 444 2nd rifle season, we had been hunting unit 54, we put some miles on and saw a fair amount of sign but the elk eluded us or other hunters got the shots. We did manage to take 3 doe last year. This year we are planning on going back. We will have cow and OTC bull tags, one with a buck tag, and 2 bear tags in our group.

Last year we spent our last 3 days hunting in the Holly Cross Wilderness area in the vicinity of Tellurium Lake. The plan this year is to base camp next to the trail head on Last Chance Creek and spike camp close to Tellurium Lake for the first 3 days of the season. My buddy is planning on taking a scouting trip to the area the 3rd week of August.

I have been over the maps and after what we saw last year we think our best chance is to get back in the wilderness and let the elk get pushed back to us off of Burnt Mountain or find some less pressured elk in the wilderness hopefully.

I am hoping to find someone that has been to this area before and might have some pointers for us. Having only been there one season I know there are elk there and it will take some work to find them but if anyone has information that would help it would be greatly appreciated!

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Did you all not see any elk at all? I am going on my first hunt right next to you. I have been eyeing Holy Cross for upcoming years though, when I might go solo or with another guy who wants to get in and do the bivy hunting thing.

OP
OZapo

OZapo

FNG
The only elk that we put our eyes on was a cow that a group of hunters had shot. We saw plenty of fresh sign in the wilderness area but we got back in there later in the morning each time we hiked in.

OP
OZapo

OZapo

FNG
What unit are you hunting in this year Newt?

Newt

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 44. I hope to be putting my hands on a cow elk in about a month.

I've been looking at the sunrise/sunset tables. It is going to be early mornings for sure if we are going to get back in while its still dark. I'm glad that I've been training in the mornings rather than evenings. It will help with being consistent through the hunt.

Seems like nobody is willing to share information on this unit. Tells me they are hiding something

hobbes

WKR
This post is 2 years old, but 444 or the Holy Cross are huge areas. The Holy Cross is wicked nasty terrain. Assuming everyone is hiding something is laughable. Search any unit and I'll bet you struggle to find detailed information. The more information shared likely just means the more folks that are hunting it that haven't figured out how many folks they are broadcasting information to. I've been in both a couple times, found minimal elk, but wouldn't openly share what I have even though I likely won't hunt it again.

Nobody in their right mind broadcasts detailed information on a particular unit over an internet forum. The simple act of the original poster describing in detail where he thought the hunting could be good invited plenty of internet scouters.

Hey Hobbes,

I would like to send you a private message about unit 444, but i cannot find a message button anywhere.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

hobbes

WKR
Hey Hobbes,

I would like to send you a private message about unit 444, but i cannot find a message button anywhere.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Click on my name then click "start conversation". I think that'll do it.

ChrisA

WKR
Just returned from an early rifle mule deer hunt in GMU45. Beautiful ass kicking country with little game spotted that was worth a giant pack out.

Chris

dany4585

FNG
Hello,

I'm planning an archery elk and mule deer hunt to GMU 444 this September. It'll be my first time hunting out west, and I wanted to see if anyone would be willing to share any thoughts or suggestions on hunting this unit? I have read that the elk herd is on the decline. My plan is to backpack and explore the various drainages off of Red Table Mountain Road for 7 days. I've been allotted both a mule and elk tag. Thanks in advance for any information you share. - Dan

Mosby

WKR
Seems like nobody is willing to share information on this unit. Tells me they are hiding something
Not really. People don't like talking about specific units and hunting locations on public forums. One guy on the internet can ruin another guys hard work. I am driving out to Colorado next month to scout for a week. Good or bad, I am probably not going to come on here and tell everyone what I find in my unit and provide specific information so they can join me on the hunt. I won't even tell people what units I apply for or draw anymore. Them days are over for me. Thats me though. Nothing personal.