Colorado Unit 12 Archery

I drew an archery tag for CO unit 12, which includes 12, 23, and 24. I have never been to this part of the state but am fortunate that I have the full week leading up to Labor Day weekend off so I will be able to get up there early and spend some days getting the lay of the land.

Has anyone had success with a bow in this area and wouldn't mind DMing me? NOT looking for a honey hole! Just hoping to get info on some basics like options for access points, how crowded the area is during archery season, and things of that nature.

This is my first limited draw hunt so I want to make sure I'm doing all of my due diligence! Thanks for any help.

fishslap

WKR
Access points to the units can be found on any map. Access points to specific hunting areas is pretty much in “honey hole” territory, same as when guys ask for places to camp. You will have competition from bow hunters hunting these draw units with OTC tags if you’re anywhere close to boundaries of OTC units. Good luck and hunt the steep timbered slopes. Elk numbers keep dropping noticeably in those units every year, regardless of what the surveys say.

fishslap

WKR
Thanks for the roast!

I was trying to ask about crowds at access points, I am well aware of how maps work
There will be crowds at all campgrounds, pull offs, and trailheads if that’s what you’re referring to as access points. I don’t think most guys use that term. When I say trailheads, I’m talking about any path created by regular traffic, not just named or marked trailheads. There will be equal traffic from recreationalists and hunters on trails that time of year. Going off trail will create some distance but you’re likely to run into other hunters and outfitters throughout the day anywhere you go.

sndmn11

WKR
There are 100k elk in that area, just go hunt it.

Every archery animal I have shot at has been on that tag, and I have seen one other hunter or recreationalist in the field with oodles of elk. Just pick a spot on the map you like, don't let the abundance or lack of other hunters when you arrive influence your plan, and hunt elk like a cagey whitetail.

Shoot the first legal bull you can.