Colorado - Transporting Game through unlicensed GMU

SonnyDay

WKR
Hey All, I've looked around and have not found anything specific to this use case in CPW regs.

Am I allowed to transport an animal (let's assume Elk) that I killed in a GMU for which I hold a valid license through a different GMU for which I do NOT hold a valid license?

We're looking at some different ways to access areas we're considering hunting, and in some cases the closest access involves coming in and out through a GMU that we wouldn't have any licenses for.

I would hope that if a warden wanted to bust our chops we could show him the kill site in the proper unit... but just wondering if anyone has heard of issues or regs related to this.

Thanks!

svivian

WKR
I'm assuming you are hiking in from another unit? Just have good GPS coordinates of your kill in case you get asked about it.

Not a problem at all as others have mentioned. GPS markers are your friend. I have a friend who even killed a bull right outside of RMNP last year and with a call to a park ranger and providing coordinates, got permission to cut through the corner of the park which was a much easier pack out to their trucks.

OP
SonnyDay

SonnyDay

WKR
Thanks everyone! I figured this has to be somewhat common... just didn't see it addressed specifically in the regs. Appreciate the replies!

And correct, @svivian hiking in/out through a different GMU (and I supposed driving as well). Thanks!