Colorado Timber Thinning / Logging

Not sure this is the correct forum but it is worth a shot.

I was in Colorado in September and ran into timber thinning / cutting that was done sometime between Sept 2021 and Sept 2022. Some of my favorite haunts were cleared. None of these spaces were called out on OnX or GoHunt. I am hoping someone else has figured out how to find current and planned timber cutting and thinning on the inter webs.

I did call the local forestry service office prior to leaving but I didn't ask this specific question and I learned that lesson the hard way. Of course, the person I spoke to on the phone argued with me for 5 minutes about which side of the continental divide we were talking about. Not sure they would have known one way or another if there was timber harvesting happening based on the conversation.

I googled this for a number of hours the past couple of days but no such luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have found the OnX timber harvest layer to be accurate. It's possible that the information on your spot had not been submitted or processed yet.

I have also found that talking to anyone at the forest service is a waste of time.

If the area in question was on state land, I have not seen any shapefiles for OnX.

OP
D
Yeah, I agree on OnX for the most part. This is the first time I have ran into it and it not be marked. I am keeping an eye on it to see when it does get updated.

It was national forest land.

cnelk

WKR
It takes about a year for OnX to catch up on recent timber cuts.

You can also research timber permits on the NF website - it’s cumbersome but doable