Colorado Third Season Bear

I recently moved to CO and have hunted elk here before but will have a third season deer tag this fall. Is it worth it to pick up an OTC bear tag in case we come across one or are they typically hibernating by third rifle?

MTtrout

WKR
Cannot comment specifically on CO but I still see bear in other central and northern Rocky Mountain states that time of the year so guessing your situation is no different. If your bear tags are cheap then why not? If you’re still a NR then look at harvest data for your area and decide if the tag fee is worth it to you.

OP
G
Cannot comment specifically on CO but I still see bear in other central and northern Rocky Mountain states that time of the year so guessing your situation is no different. If your bear tags are cheap then why not? If you’re still a NR then look at harvest data for your area and decide if the tag fee is worth it to you.
Yeah tags are only 40 bucks for a res so I was leaning “why not” but wanted to make sure it wasn’t completely a waste. I’ve never paid too much attention to focusing on bears but always like the opportunity at multiple species when I have the chance

OP
G
Also just saw there was another thread on this recently…..

Not sure how I missed that when I searched. Sorry for clogging up the forum!

Pinyon

FNG
Also just saw there was another thread on this recently…..

Not sure how I missed that when I searched. Sorry for clogging up the forum!
It looks like a lot of mixed responses in the other thread. I don't know what part of the state you will be hunting, but I live and hunt just about smack dab in the middle of the western slope and I spend a fair amount of time in the woods well into December. I definitely see bears and bear sign often, even after Thanksgiving and at pretty much all elevations. Not as many as during September, but enough to believe it would be worthwhile to have a tag around here during November if you feel like spending the dollars.