Colorado Second Draw Question

roymunson

WKR
So the backstory is, 4 of us wanted to hunt elk in a fairly easy to get unit (First Rifle). We put it in as a second choice, but must have miscalculated the odds and I'm the only one of the 4 who drew the tag. Not complaining, we gambled and I must be a luckier guy than they are.

The unit we want to hunt will have second season elk tags OTC. I have no problem doing that, good group of guys, we'd have fun. My question is, what are the odds of getting my hands on a second draw muley tag for second elk season. I'd love to have that in my pocket.

If I read correctly, second draw fills youth tags first, and I cannot cash in my muley points (I have 11) for the second draw. If that's the case, am I right in saying I have almost no chance at a second draw mule deer tag for the season that coincides with second elk?

If not, I'll gladly go hunt elk second season with my buddies and turn in my first rifle tag and go second.

Either that or they're gonna have to look for vouchers.

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on the availability of that specific tag and how many people put in for it. Last year, we got a second draw tag for a muzzleloader hunt. No points were taken. If you plan correctly, then it can be a good strategy.

ckleeves

WKR
When it comes to Rifle tags not many make it past the youth round. Last year there were quite a few archery tags that didn’t even make it past the youth round. You can look up the second draw recap and see how many tags there were (it’s probably going to be totally different this year) but you can get an idea. If there were 25 youth applying for 5 tags you can pretty much save your money.

Colorado needs to do a youth draw and then whatever makes it thru that a second (third?) draw. They are making some serious coin on applications that end up never even being considered. Last year they raked in over 4500.00 on adult apps for an elk tag that not a single one of those apps was even considered.

Jethro

WKR
So the backstory is, 4 of us wanted to hunt elk in a fairly easy to get unit (First Rifle). We put it in as a second choice, but must have miscalculated the odds and I'm the only one of the 4 who drew the tag. Not complaining, we gambled and I must be a luckier guy than they are.

The unit we want to hunt will have second season elk tags OTC. I have no problem doing that, good group of guys, we'd have fun. My question is, what are the odds of getting my hands on a second draw muley tag for second elk season. I'd love to have that in my pocket.

If I read correctly, second draw fills youth tags first, and I cannot cash in my muley points (I have 11) for the second draw. If that's the case, am I right in saying I have almost no chance at a second draw mule deer tag for the season that coincides with second elk?

If not, I'll gladly go hunt elk second season with my buddies and turn in my first rifle tag and go second.

Either that or they're gonna have to look for vouchers.
Without knowing your unit specifics, chances are your odds of getting the tag in 2nd draw are extremely low. Good chance they’re zero %

Somebody might have a copy of last year's second draw tag list. Otherwise, look at the 2023 draw recaps for that unit and see if/how many tags were left.

Deer tags have been scarce on the leftovers for a couple years.

It only costs $10 to apply. CPW will publish the list of available tags prior to the secondary draw. If there's a tag you want on the list, you might as well try for it. You can look at reports from previous years to get an idea of what your odds might be.

Huntin_GI

WKR
FWIW, I have all but abandoned the secondary draw. If it is a shit tag, it's still most likely going to youth. If it's not shit, it's surely going to a youth.

taskswap

WKR
It only costs $10 to apply. CPW will publish the list of available tags prior to the secondary draw. If there's a tag you want on the list, you might as well try for it. You can look at reports from previous years to get an idea of what your odds might be.
This. It's too early to panic or even make plans on what you want to do. Check this sales chart for dates, it's very helpful:

In a week they'll publish the final draw results. Once they do, see how many tags are left over. If there are 3, change your plan and enter the secondary for a different unit that has a lot of leftover (or decide to go OTC). If there are 47, it's almost certainly worth entering the secondary draw. You don't have to return your tag yet so you have time to talk it over.

Don't forget there's a "leftover" step, too. Last year I failed to draw in the primary AND secondary draws but the tag I wanted still came up on the leftovers. I believe what happens is, in the secondary since Youth have such preference, those tags go quick - but many people haven't finalized their plans, and may still return tags after that. Those go to the leftovers. I have a suspicion that youth often draw tags that their parents fail to match, and since many hunt as a family, the youth might return that tag and hunt elsewhere with their parent.

I would say to hold onto your first rifle tag and tell your buddies to keep trying on the second draw and leftovers.

nm_nomad

FNG
Is secondary draw like the primary? As in, they look at everyones first choice first before moving on to the second choices? Or when your app is pulled they consider all choices and then move on? Thanks in advance.

Secondary draw stats are posted on the CPW site at the same page as the other draw stats. You can see that most go to Youth

taskswap

WKR
Is secondary draw like the primary? As in, they look at everyones first choice first before moving on to the second choices? Or when your app is pulled they consider all choices and then move on? Thanks in advance.
There are ranked choices as with the primary BUT:
* Preference points no longer count. They don't help you "win" and if you draw your first choice are not used up by that.
* Youth hunters get 100% (!) preference
* Group-hunt rules do not apply.