Colorado question

I’m trying to figure this out.. I’m wanting to build points in Colorado but also hunt Montana. I can only do one mule deer hunt this year and I would like to apply for a Montana general deer tag and a Colorado deer tag. I only have 1 point in Colorado and 0 preference points in Montana. So I know Montana would be a 50/50 chance if that. But I would use Colorado as a plan B since the draw will be after Montana. From what I understand I can’t withdraw my Colorado application if I do draw a Montana tag. I emailed CPW and they told me April 9th is the latest I could go to withdraw the application but Montana’s draw isn’t until April 20th. Any advice is appreciated and Hopefully all of that made since.

Juggling overlapping draw timelines and the possibilty of drawing multiple tags can be a tricky part of the western hunting game. There's no definitive right approach; it all depends on your personal goals and risk tolerance.

I don't know about Montana, but Colorado allows you to return a drawn tag for either a refund of the tag cost or restoration of preference points (but not both). Returning the Colorado tag and eating the cost to maintain your preference points could be a potential plan C if you were to draw tags in both states.

Colorado tags available via the secondary draw and leftover list are also options to consider.
Screenshot_20210316-135400.png

HuntNTag

WKR
That

It’s a risk you play with potentially losing some money if you draw both by giving back in Colorado but it might be worth the potential expense if you don’t draw Montana and end up getting Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could apply for Montana and do a point in Colorado. If Montana doesn't work out, try the secondary draw or leftovers in Colorado.

Sharptail

FNG
Secondary deer tags in decent units are hard to come by. But they're out there. I would return the CO license for the preference point and consider the lost fee a wildlife donation.