Colorado points?

Is the process if just buying points a smooth process.Do you loose points if you skip a year?
Looking to go for a cow tag in a few years.

Non res draw cow moose tags all the time with 0 points and beat out residents with 20+ points. Not sure how many years you can skip before you lose your points.

WKR
If you want to hunt them just apply to draw each year. With the wolves moving in, hard to say how things will change. I shot a cow a few years back just to check the box off. Glad I did actually.

cnelk

WKR

Overdrive

WKR
Non res draw cow moose tags all the time with 0 points and beat out residents with 20+ points. Not sure how many years you can skip before you lose your points.
Yup my NR friends have drawn 4 cow tags, one had drawn 3 years in a row and the other drew as a 2nd choice. That was about 5 years ago, the unit has changed as has the PP needed. But it was fun going with them and helping out

Beendare

WKR
When I realized my odds of-ever drawing a bull was astronomical even with 12 points….I drew out on a cow. Expensive tag, and not much of a hunt as they aren’t super wary but another species with my recurve.

The meat is fantastic…no wild taste at all.

OP
C
Im just looking for the experience and meat,something for me and son to do as most western hunts are going to be out of reach.

Some units can be drawn with 0 points. Personally, I would not use more than 1 PP on a cow. Just get into the system and apply for a PP this year once the app process opens up.

svivian

WKR
Jesus H Christ.
Read the 2022 stats. There isn’t ONE unit - Nada / Zilch / ZERO - that you can draw with 0 PPs
1675293423243.png
1675293477021.png
1675293502319.png

What changed in 2021 and 2022? Other than the suspicious amount of Nonresidents who drew on zero points previously

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Buying pp is a waste of time after you have 3 and are in the draw. The minuscule odds increases for the cash warranted is a money grab. I have 3+12 for all of the big three and apply every year but I’ll be damned if I’m giving them anymore cash. They pulled the rug out from nrs 4 years ago and devalued my investment considerably

Ddubs20

FNG
You lose your points if you don't apply for 10 years. WI shedhead has it figured out! It is impossible to draw 3 years in a row. You're only eligible after acquiring 3 points. So the best you could do would be every 4th year. Shoot the smallest cow you see, or one close to the road!

I was a resident of Colorado for 35 years I had 20 points when I left which is sad. I now have 25 points or 3 preference and 22 weighted. A friend of mine drew a non-res. tag with 25 in 2016. At this point I've resigned myself to the fact that now as a non-res. I am a couple of years behind the curve. I may never drawn a moose tag in CO my current plan is to apply until I turn 55 (I'm 40 now, and unless I become ill) and then burn the damn things on a cow. My hopes of killing a Shiras bull now lie in MT, ID, and WA.

Current odds with my points is about 2% pretty damn degrading considering I could have gone on a guided moose hunt for what I've invested. Same boat for sheep and goat. I guess I'm a fool and I'm getting older maybe someday I'll geat a chance at one of em before I'm to old to do it. Better yet maybe they will come up with a transferable on death points system considering the amount of money invested and I can give my son a chance at a tag in his lifetime.