Colorado or Wyoming?

It seems as though I have a choice to make. After being offered a job in both states, I'm unsure as to which way to go. Both jobs are the same pay, one is in Colorado Springs, the other in Cheyenne. Im moving from NJ ( leaving active duty AF.) So no experience with living out west. I have however hunted CO a couple times as a teen and have only driven thru WY during an AF move.

So my question is, if you had the choice of either location, which would you choose? Please explain why, any help in the decision process is appreciated, especially from residents of either side.

AZ Vince

WKR
Wyoming.
No state income tax, lower cost of living, and in my opinion, better hunting.

So here is my take - as a qualifier my wife and I have a daughter in 1st grade so that ways heavily on my choices. I would choose the Springs because all the convenience of the big city is there with out being Denver. Great access to the mountains, nice places to live and no Wyoming wind (generally). Changing jobs would be easier in the Springs - Denver you could commute for work if needed but not desirable. CO Springs also has many faith based organizations so if that is of importance that is a consideration as well. I just found Cheyenne not to be for me with a family. If I was single I would go farther north.

That's a tough choice but with the way colorado has moved in regards to fun control and others I would have to agree with the above. Drawing a license is another story. Next year I won't be hunting unless I draw a special tag as our populations where I hunt have dwindled to nothing. If you find some good places to hunt with a good population, in an area with good access, can get a permit then your solid.

OP
mudlickman
Thanks for the responses guys, I do have an infant son, so education and family will definitely play a role in the decision. As for work, im an Air Traffic Controller so not much leeway with changing jobs there. My backup plan is going to the Electrician JATC which both cities have, in the case I ever become medically dq'ed or the govt decides to shutdown again and I lose my job.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I would say Wyoming depending on which part (no income tax, better politics, less people, probably better hunting overall). If your sensitive to the wind, long winters, or long drives I'd go with Colorado.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I live in the Springs and it's too big and crowded for my preferences, but a lot to do here. We rarely ever get more than an inch or two of snow at a time, and the wind is nowhere near what Cheyenne gets. The terrain around Cheyenne is hideous compared to the Springs. Overall, I'd pick WY........but Cheyenne versus Springs, I'd take Springs every time. The summers make it all worthwhile. And even as mild as our winters are, I could still do without them. I wish we could have two cycles here........April through September, then start over with April again. I was born and raised about 50 miles from here.

wyosteve

WKR
I live in Cheyenne and would say you need to come out and spend a little time in both areas. For me, Springs is way too crowded with people and traffic. Cheyenne does have wind but as some mentioned, cost of living is lower. In addition to no state income tax, our property taxes are very low. Can't comment on the education systems since I don't have kids. You won't be wrong with either choice as living anywhere always involves some compromises.

JWP58

WKR
Thanks for the responses guys, I do have an infant son, so education and family will definitely play a role in the decision. As for work, im an Air Traffic Controller so not much leeway with changing jobs there. My backup plan is going to the Electrician JATC which both cities have, in the case I ever become medically dq'ed or the govt decides to shutdown again and I lose my job.

If education is a concern or high priority, Wyoming might be out of the picture. I moved here a few years ago after living in Texas my entire life, and have NEVER met or seen as many people that didn't even graduate high school. The public schools from everyone I've talked to aren't the greatest, so maybe home schooling would be a good option.

If you have any specific questions regarding Cheyenne, send me a pm and ask away...I may be able to fill you in on what you need to know.

Oh ya, and if you don't want to live in a complete shithole house/neighborhood plan on spending over 250k on a house. And if you drive something that isn't a rust bucket hooptie, plan on spending about $400 to register it....or more.

bz_711

WKR
What does your wife want? I'm assuming married with young child...for me that would mean CO Springs, and I prefer their proximity to rugged mountains and OTC Elk tags:)

WKR
Cheyenne is really the northern end of the CO front range. Have you spent any time in Wyoming? Coming from NJ, are you a city person? Wyoming isn't for everybody but then again, Cheyenne is the most metropolitan area in the state so it would be less of a shock than the rest of the state.

I know nothing about CO Springs other than it's got a reputation for being rabidly religious.

It's windy and cold in Cheyenne during the fall, winter, spring. I've lived there in the summer but would hate to be anywhere along the I-80 corridor during the colder months (Cheyenne, Laramie, Rawlins, Rock Springs, Evanston).

Taxes and cost of living are lower in WY. They Cheyenne guys will know more but my impression is that Cheyenne isn't very close to hunting/fishing.

LostArra

WKR
Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs area has probably a dozen craft breweries.
Zero in Cheyenne

We may have a winner.

Cheyenne does have an outstanding Sportsman's Warehouse that we usually hit for something forgotten on our way to elk woods.

JWP58

WKR
I do believe there is a "Freedom's Edge" brewery in Cheyenne. I don't know if that counts as "craft" though (not a micro/craft brew guy)

Trr15

WKR
To follow up on a few of the previous comments....Its windy as hell here from October through March and you never get used to it...Trust me. The winters get damn cold, but it isnt nearly as snowy as most people think. Whatever snow we do get, rarely sticks around longer than a few days. It all blows into Nebraska. :) I have to assume you'd be closer to hunting woods in CO Springs because Cheyenne is about 1.5 - 2 hours from the mountains and really good hunting...There is in fact a Freedom's Edge brewery in town, and they make some darn good beer....With all that said, I really like Cheyenne. Its a great place to raise my kids and it definitely has a small town feel.

When you WY guys say cold, what temps are you talking about? I just visited family in Ft. Collins, CO and they were saying it got cold in the winter there. To them cold was +20, for me and the girlfriend cold is highs in the teens and -30 to -50 at night in Iowa and Wisconsin.

Is the weather similar in Southern WY as it is in the FT. Collins area?

I was also told that a non-resident elk tag in WY is cheaper than a Res. tag in Co. Is that true?

WKR
Iowa/WI cold is slightly colder than WY cold in my opinion but the wind can make +20 feel incredibly miserable. Wyoming air is drier. It tends to be much sunnier in winter in WY compared to the midwest which is mentally, a major plus.

Fort Collins is much warmer than Cheyenne. Cheyenne sits on a high plains area 1000 feet above Denver. Laramie is another 1000 feet higher than Cheyenne. You have to be tough or dumb to live in Laramie.

JWP58

WKR
When you WY guys say cold, what temps are you talking about? I just visited family in Ft. Collins, CO and they were saying it got cold in the winter there. To them cold was +20, for me and the girlfriend cold is highs in the teens and -30 to -50 at night in Iowa and Wisconsin.

Is the weather similar in Southern WY as it is in the FT. Collins area?

I was also told that a non-resident elk tag in WY is cheaper than a Res. tag in Co. Is that true?

Coldest I've felt so far was about -40 with windchill. It was a bad night to work. Cheyenne is about 6k above sea level. We routinely drive down to Ft. Collins to warm up and get a break from the wind during the winter.

I was finding it hard to believe that a tag could be cheaper for a non-resident than a CO resident.

I would take a -40 with windchill some days here. Those were just air temp.

The front range is defiantly a better place in the winter and dryer heat in the summer. The girlfriend is really wanting to move out that way and if I can find a job we probably will. So I will almost be in the same boat as Mudlickman. Deciding between higher living expenses in CO or more rural in Southern WY.

Good luck with making a choice Mudlickman, I understand the difficulty, although I so not have as many factors to consider.