Colorado OHV loaded magazine clarification

Ucsdryder

WKR
The regulation reads…

Carry firearms (except handguns) on an off-highway vehicle (OHV) during deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear seasons unless they are unloaded in the chamber and magazine. Firearms (except handguns) and bows carried on an OHV must be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case. Scabbards or cases with open ends or sides are prohibited.

If you have a rifle with a removable magazine, is the magazine allowed to be loaded and separated from the rifle? Let’s say in your pocket?

amassi

WKR
In the regs do they define magazine?
There’s no reg against carrying loaded spare magazines right?
I assume they’re referring to internal bdl style or blind box magazines.
Interested if a cpw warden can chime in with the letter and their spirit of the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the regs do they define magazine?
There’s no reg against carrying loaded spare magazines right?
I assume they’re referring to internal bdl style or blind box magazines.
Interested if a cpw warden can chime in with the letter and their spirit of the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is how I've always interpreted it. You'd have to run across a warden having a really bad day I'd think to write you up for having a magazine in your pocket with an unloaded rifle. I would assume the spirit/intent of the law is safety in which this would satisfy the intent.

That would be worth a phone call for sure. Some of the regs dont make much sense

The oregon rules crack me up. I dont think they know how a revolver works:ROFLMAO:
  • Revolver – no live cartridge in the chamber that is aligned with the hammer
Alright, maybe I need more coffee but that's how we carry our revolvers. What am I missing?

cnelk

WKR
You’re legal.
You can have a rifle that’s cased on an atv and as long there’s not ‘one in the pipe’ you’re good to go.

You basically have a single shot rifle until the magazine is installed

jayhawk

WKR
Alright, maybe I need more coffee but that's how we carry our revolvers. What am I missing?
When you pull the trigger, the cylinder rotates and fires the next round.

What they’re trying to do is prevent an unintentional discharge in the event the hammer is struck. Makes sense on older wheel guns, but modern revolvers have a lot of safety stuff on them that would prevent this.

def90

WKR
The regulation reads…

Carry firearms (except handguns) on an off-highway vehicle (OHV) during deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear seasons unless they are unloaded in the chamber and magazine. Firearms (except handguns) and bows carried on an OHV must be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case. Scabbards or cases with open ends or sides are prohibited.

If you have a rifle with a removable magazine, is the magazine allowed to be loaded and separated from the rifle? Let’s say in your pocket?

Yes, a loaded but removable magazine not inserted in the rifle would be fine.

When you pull the trigger, the cylinder rotates and fires the next round.

What they’re trying to do is prevent an unintentional discharge in the event the hammer is struck. Makes sense on older wheel guns, but modern revolvers have a lot of safety stuff on them that would prevent this.
Yeah ours are single action and we don't carry one under the hammer in case it's dropped or hit or something. Leather strap from the holster prevents the hammer from being pulled back, for the most part.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Since we are on the ATV/gun rules, can I put a rifle in a fully enclosed soft case and sling it over my shoulder instead of strapping it to ATV?

amassi

WKR
That’s what I was thinking. Didn’t see anything in regs about it.

Yep doesn’t say where the case needs to be.
As much road hunting as some units get you think that’s be ironed out if it were an issue.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You planning being part of the Calvary in the Co orange army? Haha I took you for more of a foot soldier ucsdryder

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
Yep doesn’t say where the case needs to be.
As much road hunting as some units get you think that’s be ironed out if it were an issue.
I felt like I read all I could about the ATV laws and was hoping I didn’t overlook something. Never take an ATV with us, but it will help when the guys want to take my truck to go to the elk spots and I go a different direction to the deer spots.