Colorado Muzzleloader Hunt: Redemption?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Robby, Hope you have some time to come out and meet and greet before going back to Idaho. Would love to meet up with you. Are you in town past this weekend?

James

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Ohh your in Western Co. You plan to come out to Denver at all? Give me a call if so.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got him! Uploaded some video to the blog to start the recap of the last 24 hours. More to come.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mike,
I got it today! Was in the middle of skinning and caping and didn't want that stuff on my phone! Thanks so much for the prayers and encouragement. Same back at you. you're next in Colorado.

I figured since you hit up a live update you'd get it, either way glad everything worked out great for you! Going on faith... :) lets hope that faith carries back over to the Idaho season!

Mike

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
IAHUNTER, thanks and good to hear from you. You are always encouraging- much appreciated to have you on Rokslide. I remember you followed the same hunt last year, right?

7mag.

WKR
That is an awesome buck Robby. Way to get it done again. Are you about out of room in the house for all those giant bucks you shoot?

What a great buck Robby and a great hunt! Can't believe that's your first muzzy buck! Awesome :)

I swear though, I always crack a smile n chuckle when I look at your gear and your videos! Between that last shot of you packing the buck out on the frame with the load lifters all crooked, your old army tent, previous purple pack, invisible camo....etc And you couldn't be happier! :) I get a kick out of how you are out there hunting and gettin it done with gear that just works instead of always the latest and greatest! Some guys get sooo caught up in the gear that they forget what it's all about. While it does provide some entertainment value it's really awesome to see... This is trophy buck hunting at it's finest and it's better than any shows on the tv...
I love after all these years you still get excited just talking about big bucks, hope I'm that way down the road as well! Again congratulations Robby!

Mike

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mike, you're about my favorite subscriber to the blog. Always great comments and feedback plus you appreciate my redneck streak. I love all my new gear and it does function better, but I want to give all the guys hope that it's your hunting skills that win in the end. Good gear just makes it easier to apply those skills.
thanks again, and when we have time, I'd like to hear about your Washington high country buck hunt. We can all learn from each other's experiences.

Rizzy

WKR
Nice Buck Robby! Your patience paid off :)
Did you notice any effect on the Bucks from the full moon on this hunt?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ron,
Believe it or not, I don't pay much attention to the full moon. Only because I've had both good and bad hunts during that phase. Maybe I'm not perceptive enough. I just go hunting and let the deer show me what they are doing. I haven't checked the calendar, but I think I shot that buck on the peak of the phase? I do know the full moon makes it easier to hike in and out and makes the mountains feel a little "friendlier".

Mike, you're about my favorite subscriber to the blog. Always great comments and feedback plus you appreciate my redneck streak. I love all my new gear and it does function better, but I want to give all the guys hope that it's your hunting skills that win in the end. Good gear just makes it easier to apply those skills.
thanks again, and when we have time, I'd like to hear about your Washington high country buck hunt. We can all learn from each other's experiences.

Thanks Robby! How can you not appreciate good redneck tendencies? ha it's the "easily entertained" sense of humor that really lets a guy enjoy the hunt even during the slow times...

I know you're runnin' n gunnin' right now pretty hard but I'd love to talk to you about the trips I've been on... one buck in particular to get your take on him and how he acted and escaped. I got laid up last weekend solo about 6 miles into the wilderness the night before opening day and had to hobble out to the trailhead opening morning so as of right now, I'm on an ibuprofen/icing regime and have lots of time to talk :)

Mike

Rizzy

WKR
Yeah the night hiking is way easier, you can even glass a little too :)

I notice that I have had a harder time finding Bucks during a full moon this season when it's clear. They seem to spend more time feeding in cover and out of direct moonlight.

Regardless, you just got a 190 buck during a full moon ;)