Colorado Moose, Mt. Goat, Bighorn Preference Point Clarification

Just need a bit of clarification on this. I have accumulated 3 PP for each species and have 1 weighted point per species.

Based on what I'm reading in the regs, I can only accumulate 3 PP per species, and then weighted accumulates from each unsuccessful application.

So my question is, if I have no intent on traveling out West this year, is there any reason for me to apply for a preference point? It looks like no, but just wanted to verify.

Similarly, if I wanted to accumulate weighted points, should I go ahead and apply for a tag? I know it's a snow balls chance of getting a tag on 1 weighted point, so what could/would I do if I happened to draw?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but couldn't find anything in the search.

If have you at least 3 CO PPs, I would enter the draw. Check the box and pay the $100 NR PP fee if you don't draw. Heck, in the unlikelihood you draw change your plans and go on a once in a lifetime moose hunt with high harvest probabilty.

If you are certain there is absolutely no chance of making a trip out to CO this year, you can just apply for a weighted preference point. However, since you've already put in for at least four years and have the intention of hunting these species at some point, I see no reason not to at least put in for the draw. There is even an option to opt out of paying for a preference point if you don't want to pay for it. Your cumulative odds are much better if you apply every year vs trying to acquire as many points as possible to cash in the one year you are ready to make it out. Looks like last year there were 17 non-residents who drew tags with 3 preference points and one weighted point. I'm betting your intent to head west might change if you draw one of these once in a lifetime tags.

OP
D
Thanks for the replies. We’re heading to Telluride in June for the Wine and Food Festival (friend’s company in charge or marketing this year) so don’t think I can convince the wife for me to throw in on an expensive tag with the line “I probably won’t draw”. She’s heard that before.

The year we married was also the first year I started practicing Vet Med. Zoetis (Pfizer Animal side) sent my boss info on a lottery application for new/recent grads for a full expense paid, week long stay in Vegas for intimate surgical and dental continuing education. He said I should put in but wouldn’t get selected most likely. Event was a month prior to my wedding.

Wife pitched a huge bitch that I put in! Already had bachelor party in Nashville, etc, etc.

Really got chewed a good one when I was selected. 5 day stay at Mandarin Oriental. $500/night room that could have slept 6 all to myself. 5 days of waking up at 6 am to start training at 7, only to get in bed around 3 am every night. Broke even on gambling, swore I’d never go back to Vegas unless paid for.

Anyway, I have some decent luck at really bad timing. Moose would be cool though!!!! Any of them would be really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Anytime you apply for a PP for MSG you’ll accumulate up to 3 PPs. After that a PP hunt code will be for weighted points.
There no hunt code for weighted points.

You have the option of not being charged for weighted points (if you have 3 PP)

It’s all in the Regs.