Colorado Hybrid Draw

Who's been successful drawing a tag through the hybrid draw in Colorado over the years? Let's hear which tag and how many points you snagged it with, as well as how the hunt went!

My old man drew a unit 2 rifle bull tag in the hybrid 2 years ago with 5 points. He bailed on the points game years ago so it was neat to see him get the opportunity to hunt the famed NW corner.

Hunt was awesome, took an old warrior bull with a shifted pedicle 5x5 that went north of 320.

Ironically the guys camped next to us also had a hybrid tag. Kid was a 17yo from Craig and drew with 5 as well. He killed a 340 type 6x6 down in the low country the same day we tagged out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
Lil-Rokslider
My old man drew a unit 2 rifle bull tag in the hybrid 2 years ago with 5 points. He bailed on the points game years ago so it was neat to see him get the opportunity to hunt the famed NW corner.

Hunt was awesome, took an old warrior bull with a shifted pedicle 5x5 that went north of 320.

Ironically the guys camped next to us also had a hybrid tag. Kid was a 17yo from Craig and drew with 5 as well. He killed a 340 type 6x6 down in the low country the same day we tagged out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Man, that's cool. Stories like that are why I'm a fan of the hybrid draw.

Also, really good to know that people are actually getting tags through it, ha! I was beginning to be skeptical

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Well, one of my good friends drew the unit 2 muzzleloader tag in the hybrid this year! He drew it with 11 points. I'm really hoping I'll be able to join him on the hunt, because it will probably be my only chance to hunt an elk tag like that. I am genuinely as excited for him drawing the tag as I would be if I drew it myself.

Is there a good resource out there for being able to distinguish a good bull from a great bull?

I've always just hunted units where if I was going to pass on a bull, it was just a matter of letting a raghorn walk in hopes of a more mature 5x5 or 6x6. But being in a unit where we might be looking over multiple 330" bulls with a legitimate chance at 360" or bigger is totally new to me. What are some specific things you guys are looking at to distinguish between a 330" and a 360" plus bull?

Hnthrdr

WKR
Well, one of my good friends drew the unit 2 muzzleloader tag in the hybrid this year! He drew it with 11 points. I'm really hoping I'll be able to join him on the hunt, because it will probably be my only chance to hunt an elk tag like that. I am genuinely as excited for him drawing the tag as I would be if I drew it myself.

Is there a good resource out there for being able to distinguish a good bull from a great bull?

I've always just hunted units where if I was going to pass on a bull, it was just a matter of letting a raghorn walk in hopes of a more mature 5x5 or 6x6. But being in a unit where we might be looking over multiple 330" bulls with a legitimate chance at 360" or bigger is totally new to me. What are some specific things you guys are looking at to distinguish between a 330" and a 360" plus bull?
Jay Scott had a really good video that a friend shared with me that goes over and shows different size class bulls and how to field judge them, typically the real big boys will have 50+inch main beams, and have 15+ on tines, eye guards will be curling up longer than their snout. But I have a hard time saying no to any nice looking bulls especially with a bow. I have a muzzle loader this year and hope to have a chance at a more mature 6 point, it’s a medium point unit so I might be a little picky. Really anything over 300 up close in the timber looks huge

OP
Lil-Rokslider
Jay Scott had a really good video that a friend shared with me that goes over and shows different size class bulls and how to field judge them, typically the real big boys will have 50+inch main beams, and have 15+ on tines, eye guards will be curling up longer than their snout. But I have a hard time saying no to any nice looking bulls especially with a bow. I have a muzzle loader this year and hope to have a chance at a more mature 6 point, it’s a medium point unit so I might be a little picky. Really anything over 300 up close in the timber looks huge
Thank you, that is very helpful and I'll look into it. I agree, I am not one to pass on a legal bull, especially in OTC. If I'm spending a few points I might be a tad picky. But for this particular tag, that has truly become once in a lifetime at best in Colorado, I think being a trophy hunter is appropriate. At least until the last day or two.

it's such a foreign concept to me though. Anything over 270" is big when you're in bow range. So distinguishing between huge and gigantic seems ridiculous. But hopefully that's what we'll be doing!

Was he a resident or a nonresident?

I believe hybrid draw is only available to residents… I have to look but I might be wrong or if NR do get in it’s like one tag
Supposedly, the hybrid draw is conducted after the regular draw so the nonres quota is alway met before the hybrid. Nonresidents have effectively zero chance in the hybrid.