Colorado High Country worth it still?

NYSKIER

WKR
Hi all,

Looking for some general input and just to get a conversation going. I was reading a bit about people saying that Colorado high country archery is on the down turn as far as hunting mulies goes. It looked like people were saying numbers were down and lowland areas might be better for archery (if resident deer don’t migrate)I haven’t been out in a few years and was wondering for everyone’s input as I’d like to hunt the high country this year. Anyone have any input? Would love to hear from Robbie on this one

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Forgot to add that I would assume the moving of season dates to be the culprit for some of this

Season dates make it harder to catch them in velvet and colorados war on mule deer is killing off all the mature bucks. Sad deal

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Season dates make it harder to catch them in velvet and colorados war on mule deer is killing off all the mature bucks. Sad deal
Morning to the later archery date and allowing them to get out of velvet faster and drop into timber is definitely doesn’t help. As a Colorado resident when to you typical see the majority of bucks drop velvet? Obviously it varies state to state and region to region. Curious as I find it way easier to find a hard horned buck in sage than timberline

feanor

WKR
I saw a ton of them up high last year when I was hunting elk. Easy to spot from my vantage. Can’t comment on the exact size of them, but still cruisin around early season above tree line.

Morning to the later archery date and allowing them to get out of velvet faster and drop into timber is definitely doesn’t help. As a Colorado resident when to you typical see the majority of bucks drop velvet? Obviously it varies state to state and region to region. Curious as I find it way easier to find a hard horned buck in sage than timberline
Seems to be they start rubbing around Sept 6/7th time frame. Some rub earlier some later.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Could you elaborate on the “war on mule deer”? I am thinking of going after mule deer for the first time and trying to decide if it is a sound endeavor vs elk.
Thanks!

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Could you elaborate on the “war on mule deer”? I am thinking of going after mule deer for the first time and trying to decide if it is a sound endeavor vs elk.
Thanks!
I think they are referring to the moving of season dates near the rut which makes it easy to wipe out older age class bucks as opposed to earlier when the dates helped to protect the herd a bit better. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong

Thanks!
The CPW thinks that cronic wasting disease is a huge issue and the answer is to kill off all the deer to stop it. They literally said the mature bucks are the Carriers of it so they are trying to kill off the older age class bucks

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
That is really helpful… it has been WAY too long since I hunted out west so the perspective is much appreciated!

ckleeves

WKR
I don’t know if I would say numbers are down, that’s more of a unit by unit issue. There are units that are up, some are down and some are the same (depending on how far back your talking of course)

What is down statewide is mature bucks, and that’s not going to be solved by hunting low vs high. You can still find bucks, they just might not be the class of bucks you saw 10 years ago.

Season dates suck but it’s not the end of the world unless your in a unit where early rifle starts right after archery then it can make things real tough.

What has changed dramatically is the amount of recreation going on in the high county in September and that can make things harder. In areas that are seeing insane amounts of human traffic the deer have started using the timber more and less of the big picturesque basins that also attract people.

Reactions: PRC

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know if I would say numbers are down, that’s more of a unit by unit issue. There are units that are up, some are down and some are the same (depending on how far back your talking of course)

What is down statewide is mature bucks, and that’s not going to be solved by hunting low vs high. You can still find bucks, they just might not be the class of bucks you saw 10 years ago.

Season dates suck but it’s not the end of the world unless your in a unit where early rifle starts right after archery then it can make things real tough.

What has changed dramatically is the amount of recreation going on in the high county in September and that can make things harder. In areas that are seeing insane amounts of human traffic the deer have started using the timber more and less of the big picturesque basins that also attract people.
That is really helpful… as you guys know, it can be daunting trying to translate eastern whitetail background into understanding Western hunting.

ckleeves

WKR
If it’s a hunt you have interest in I would just do it. It’s really hard to predict what the future holds for Colorado mule deer. The % of CWD positive bucks in certain areas around me was eye opening this year.

ColoradoV

WKR
Crowding is a very big issue now w the archery, muzzy, and rifle seasons piled on top of each other. But hey thats what the “elk only” Colorado Bowhunters ASS wanted so what we deer hunters are forced to swallow..

You have maybe a week maybe just a couple days before they change patterns now and once the muzzys and rifles go off for all practical purposes the season is over…

With the late “slaughter” dates if you have points rifle season w a bow is the best option going for deer if you want to bow hunt. Or the eastern plains private land.

Sad to see what archery deer has turned into here in Co.