Colorado GMU 54 Muzzleloader Hunt

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
Que the proverbial "Not looking for your honey hole" post 😂 I am fairly new to Colorado/Elk as I was stationed here for the USAF early last year. Long story short, I love it here and won't be leaving!

I know this unit has been beaten to death in the threads, but after reading a lot of the posts from years past it sounds like a lot has changed here recently with numbers, the way its managed, pressure, etc. Its looking like I should draw a Muzzleloader tag for 54 this year and wanted to reach out if anyone else is looking to hunt this unit who would maybe want to team up for hunting or scouting since I'll be backpacking solo. Otherwise if I could bounce ideas via PM off of people who have experience out there that would be great too! I will spending a ton of time out there late summer. Due to the nature of my job (Firefighting) I have a lot of time off to get out there for both hunting/scouting.

I know the terrain is brutal, I spent a good amount of time hiking through it last Fall. I scouted/hunted archery in 53 and was able to get on some animals so I do have a general idea of the area. I ended up tagging a bear with my add on tag early on so that cut my actual elk hunting a bit short. I did enjoy 53 but 54 has an appeal simply because its limited and I found even the remote areas of 53 to be a zoo with hunters. It felt nearly impossible to get away from other hunters and I'm guessing with more OTC's going to limited this year will be worse. I'm definitely willing to put in the work to find the animals, I'm just hoping someone would want to team up or guide me through some of the scouting to shorten the learning curve a bit since this is all so new. I know there are a few outfitters that guide/dropcamp back there but being an enlisted Airman with a family that is out of the question financially 🙃.

Thanks in advance for any help! If anyone is looking to swap information or needs help with 53 I am also willing to help out for both bear/elk with what I experienced.

trdhtr

FNG
First off, thank you for your service. I was in this unit the first week of archery last year. Also hunted 53 the year prior. PM me if you would like to discuss.

Keeldc

FNG
OP, I'm also trying to draw 54 muzeloader tag this year. I hunted a rifle tag out in PCMS with no luck last year. My plan is to drive in as far as i can and backpack camp a few miles into the west elk wilderness from opening day until the season closes.PM me and maybe we can hook up. Im also stationed here in colorado at Peterson. I also would appreciate any advice from the unit 54 vets on here.

Last edited:
OP
CObywayofUSAF

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
OP, I'm also trying to draw 54 muzeloader tag this year. I hunted a rifle tag out in PCMS with no luck last year. My plan is to drive in as far as i can and backpack camp a few miles into the west elk wilderness from opening day until the season closes.PM me and maybe we can hook up. Im also stationed here in colorado at Peterson. I also would appreciate any advice from the unit 54 vets on here.
That would be awesome, I'm right by Pete as well. Shot you a PM.

I almost put in for 54 a couple times, but every time I look at the Topo on Google earth, I wuss out. You guys are more brave than me.