Colorado flat tops hunt no luck

Djs22

FNG
So I’ve been elk hunting all over the world the past 20 years. I’ve had great luck and always plan/scout way in advance. The last 5 outings I’ve killed 4 bulls prior to 2021. Our first time in the flat tops wilderness area was a total dud. Our normal go to is unit 4 around Craig and we haven’t killed an elk In several years where our group has a 70% kill rate with horses. Went further south this year and 8 hunters never saw an elk. Hunted 24,25,33,34 and never saw an elk, bear, sheep or mule deer…elevations ranged from 9,000 to 11,600. Northwest Colorado got hit way harder on winter kill than I could have ever believed. Staggering how much the numbers have declined

OP
D

Djs22

FNG
Also found a sheep graveyard at 11,600 feet. Probably 30 plus sheep skeletons.not a bear cave or some kill site. Several elk carcasses as well

Ucsdryder

WKR
Also found a sheep graveyard at 11,600 feet. Probably 30 plus sheep skeletons.not a bear cave or some kill site. Several elk carcasses as well
I assume you’re talking domestic sheep? Surprised they got trapped in there, the herders usually keep a pretty close eye on them.

Not sure why people keeping being surprised about the state of that area. I haven’t been back since the die off for a reason. But as always, CPW appreciates your generous donation! I bet that area is another 5-6 years from any kind of normalcy for elk, more for deer.

OP
D

Djs22

FNG
I’m not qualified to say domestic or not based on the bones alone . I’m not from northwest Colorado so it was dang sure surprising to me!