Colorado Fall Black Bear Hunt

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, I'm looking to do my first bear hunt this coming fall and I have a slew of questions. If you have experience hunting bear (specifically in Colorado) and would be willing to let me pick your brain, please send me a DM. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I've been hunting bear in CO for a few years on and off, and while I am no expert, I have tagged a bear in CO, and helped a couple of friends do so as well. New to the forum so let me know if/how I can help.

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for reaching out. I'm honestly just in over my head trying to figure out what it will take to give me the best opportunity to see bears. I have 2 points and was thinking about a specific unit.. but I only have a 20% chance of drawing with 2 points. So, honestly I'm open to any and all information, tactics etc somebody can give. I've hunted the later seasons for elk and deer but never the September season. So i have nothing to go off of.

Last edited:
Thanks for reaching out. I'm honestly just in over my head trying to figure out what it will take to give me the best opportunity to see bears. I have 2 points and was thinking about unit 61... but I only have a 20% chance of drawing with 2 points. So, honestly I'm open to any and all information, tactics etc somebody can give. I've hunted the later seasons for elk and deer but never the September season. So i have nothing to go off of.
Is 61 a 3pt unit just because of pressure and it’s an add on tag or are bears that good?

Basically I’m saying don’t get tunnel visioned on bear units. Just get a tag and go cover country

ibchez

FNG
I am also interested in doing the fall bear hunt. Maybe a stupid question. Just a quick one about preseason scouting. If I am able to scout over the summer, family vacation, I would be looking for feed and likely terrain? I assume your'e looking for beary areas as opposed to individual bears correct?

WKR
If I wanted to bear hunt and had 2 points, I'd apply for 61 and if unsuccessful I'd grab a leftover tag. You're looking for oak brush, berry thickets, and water at around 8,000 feet elevation. Your best bets will be sitting water holes and shots will be under 100 yards, or sitting on points, canyon edges, offering good views and shots will be 200-500 yards and typically quite fast.

I've hunted them the last 12 or so years. We've killed 10 total with my son and I killing 8. In Sept, bears are going to move all day long searching for 20,000 to 25,000 calories a day. Sitting water holes all day long or overlooking oaks and berries will yield results. Typically walking is not productive but if moving quietly in good feeding areas you can sometimes locate them by listening for oak branches breaking.

Success rates are low but if you are serious about killing one I'd bump it up to 50/50.

ibchez

FNG
Thanks for the info. I think my plan is to hike drainages and the like looking for those food sources during the summer. I would also like to drop a few waypoints on some glassing points. I think I am more looking to try and combine a bear tag with an early rifle deer. have the points for the deer and I would pick a lower point bear unit closer to our summer vacation spot for easy scouting access.

dlee56

WKR
Sounds like you have a solid plan of approach, I wouldn't let a otc tag scare you either, there's so many bears here that you're almost guaranteed to see one of you near oak brush, berry bushes, and water regardless of unit.

Put in for 61 just to hear the bulls go nuts while you're hunting but if you don't draw just pickup a leftover tag or put in for another unit 2nd choice.

WKR
I rarely see deer in the areas I bear hunt and even fewer mature bucks. It seems where I hunt bears, the deer are 2000 feet higher in early Sept.

ibchez

FNG
I rarely see deer in the areas I bear hunt and even fewer mature bucks. It seems where I hunt bears, the deer are 2000 feet higher in early Sept.
I kind of assumed something like that. I just hoping to put several quality tags in pocket. Maybe back to drawing board. I will have to investigate more.

ibchez

FNG
Sounds like you have a solid plan of approach, I wouldn't let a otc tag scare you either, there's so many bears here that you're almost guaranteed to see one of you near oak brush, berry bushes, and water regardless of unit.

Put in for 61 just to hear the bulls go nuts while you're hunting but if you don't draw just pickup a leftover tag or put in for another unit 2nd choice.
It would awesome to hear the elk while chasing bears. I have kidding myself that I would want to pack an elk out solo, but a bears seems more managable.

It has happened to me a few times where I see bachelor groups in velvet in July/August when I am scouting bear areas, and I get excited that I might see them in early September... but come September they are nowhere to be seen. (probably went higher up as mentioned by 30338)

That said, if you can pick up an easy "either sex" archery deer tag in the unit you are hunting bear and don't care about harvesting a trophy, I think its feasible to hunt a doe in early September with a bow, and then you can hunt over the gut pile as long as you don't move it. I have to say I have not done this, but I'm planning to test this out next season.

South facing slopes looking for bee nests and berries....water/shade during the heat of the day. Thats my advice.

Thats what I will be doing this year as well I suppose. I have seen a lot of bears while elk hunting. I plan to change my tactics a bit and should have no trouble being successful if I am targeting them. Or so I hope! I will probably only see big bull elk...lol

South facing slopes looking for bee nests and berries....water/shade during the heat of the day. Thats my advice.

Thats what I will be doing this year as well I suppose. I have seen a lot of bears while elk hunting. I plan to change my tactics a bit and should have no trouble being successful if I am targeting them. Or so I hope! I will probably only see big bull elk...lol
You’ll be beating bulls back with a stick guaranteed

OP
Kylerjay05

Kylerjay05

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all for the posts... helps to clear up my muddied mind full of different tactics. Best to everyone.

nantzh

FNG
This is my fall. Drew an early rifle deer tag and bear tag for overlapping area.
Will be focusing on deer but figured having a bear tag in my pocket couldnt hurt.

This is my fall. Drew an early rifle deer tag and bear tag for overlapping area.
Will be focusing on deer but figured having a bear tag in my pocket couldnt hurt.
Hey! I joined to buy pants you are selling but have to wait a week or pay $50 to do so…