Colorado Elk - Unit 71

Hey, everyone!

I'm going on my first CO Elk hunt later this year. I decided to go through Storm Peak Outfitters at Circle K Ranch. I've scoured the threads trying to find some info on the outfit but couldn't really find anything. I guess no news is good news. That being said I want to focus more on unit 71 since I'm doing a semi-guided "DIY" hunt. I've heard numbers are low, the terrain is steep and hunting pressure is high. All pointing to a tough hunt (which is what I like to hear). Tough hunts are right up my alley. I will be given some guidance and possibly specific areas to focus on by the outfit. But I'm open to any tips, tricks, and advice y’all may have.

Thanks in advance!

I had not heard that Circle K had sold. Knew the Cannons who owned it before. Was a good outfit when they owned it. There are decent numbers of elk in the area but bull numbers are lower than in the past. Shoot the first legal bull you see. What season?

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I have a buddy that used Circle K a long time ago. They provided a good place to sleep and decent food but he hunted around the area from a vehicle and did some day hiking with very little success finding animal sign.

I hunted unit 71 about 6 years ago on a solo archery backpack hunt and shot my first bull. I really enjoyed the entire experience. I haven't been back because my son moved to Montana right after this hunt and we now hunt there. I'd go back and hunt unit 71. It's like most of the mountainous units in Colorado. You need to get off the road and in a ways to get into the animals. Some Colorado locals find places to hunt within close distance to roads, but most of us out of state folks don't have time to figure those spots out and need to just bite the bullet and go in steep and deep for our animals. Of coarse there are exceptions to my opinion, but I like steep and deep hunts anyway.

OP
EatWhatYouReap
I had not heard that Circle K had sold. Knew the Cannons who owned it before. Was a good outfit when they owned it. There are decent numbers of elk in the area but bull numbers are lower than in the past. Shoot the first legal bull you see. What season?
archery

If you’re doing a drop camp with them I’d just ask for the location of the camp and see where they put the camp and find places from there……you’ll be hunting between Dolores and Rico so that can canyon will give you a starting place

Hey, everyone!

I'm going on my first CO Elk hunt later this year. I decided to go through Storm Peak Outfitters at Circle K Ranch. I've scoured the threads trying to find some info on the outfit but couldn't really find anything. I guess no news is good news. That being said I want to focus more on unit 71 since I'm doing a semi-guided "DIY" hunt. I've heard numbers are low, the terrain is steep and hunting pressure is high. All pointing to a tough hunt (which is what I like to hear). Tough hunts are right up my alley. I will be given some guidance and possibly specific areas to focus on by the outfit. But I'm open to any tips, tricks, and advice y’all may have.

Thanks in advance!
I will be doing my first Elk Hunt with Storm Peak Outfitters in 2023 as well. 1st season rifle. Like you am doing some research. Looks like beautiful country. You archery hunting?

Big Ern

WKR
Unit 71 will have a LOT of hunters. Country is steep and deep. Grt in good shape so you can after it. If you don’t live at elevation, then if time permits, I would head out a week early and stay at least at 7k ft + to start acclimating to give yourself an advantage come opener.