Colorado Elk guide recommendations please..

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
In 2024 I'll have 4 points in Colorado for Elk. I'd like to go ahead and burn them on a guided archery hunt. The OTC unit I have hunted over the past 4 years just went to a draw unit. I can draw with zero to 1 Point in the future.
What I'm looking to do is learn more about Elk hunting. How to find them etc. I'd prefer a back pack style or at least a day trip type of hunt. Where the guide calls etc.
what I don't want is drop camp / sit in a blind type of hunt. I'm well versed on that.
Public land is ok as long as it's what I mentioned. I've seen outfitters on public land in the past, I'm plenty capable of setting up my own tent and finding trail heads. I'm not willing to pay for just that..

I'd prefer to stay in the 7 to 8k dollar range if possible. I would be willing to pay more for the right hunt..
If I'm missing something please feel free to chime in . This will be my first guided hunt of any kind so I really don't want to be disappointed or feel like it's something I could have just done myself.

OP
G

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Western Outdoor Adventures out of Meeker.

We have only used them for youth cow elk hunts. But, could not be more pleased. Jeff the owner is a good dude and will discuss the whole deal with you.
Thanks for the reply . I'll look them up..

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Western Outdoor Adventures out of Meeker.

We have only used them for youth cow elk hunts. But, could not be more pleased. Jeff the owner is a good dude and will discuss the whole deal with you.
Does western outdoor adventures have land owners tags or is that a unit where his amount of points would serve him well?

OP
G

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I've done my share of guided hunts and DIY hunts in Colorado, some things to consider.

I'm not sure I would pay $7-$8k for guided hunt on public land, unless it was a trophy unit, and that's still towards the top end on price.

If you're willing to spend that much, would first look at what's available on private land, especially if going bow hunting

I personally would never pay for a guided hunt in an OTC unit, those are some of the hardest bow hunts on the planet
I would prefer private land. I have killed 2 elk in 4 years on public.. a cow and a 4x5. It's not easy hunting with the amount of people there are in the woods. I definitely don't plan to use my points in a unit that can be drawn with zero or 1 point. If I planned to do that I would just go to the unit I already know. I may end up just drawing and going alone in one of the 3 or 4 point units.

Does western outdoor adventures have land owners tags or is that a unit where his amount of points would serve him well?
As far as I know he has land owner tags as well. When we hunted with him he was operating in several units on public and leased ranches. You can find more information on his operation on his website. I would give him a call to discuss your options. His name is Jeff Musgrave.

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I did a drop camp with J Bar H outfitters. You will find nothing but good things said about the outfit. I wouldn’t hesitate to do a guided hunt with her, and they are under your budget.

OP
G

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies . I talked to J bar H and I think I'm gonna give them a shot. She was easy to talk to and answered all my questions...

JTHeaney

FNG
Going to try and hijack-repurpose this similar thread to my specifics, as they are very similar to the OP but I have 6 points banked. I’ve been talking to booking agents and they’ve continued to push me to private land hunts where tags are otc and I can continue to bank points. I’m trying to burn them so my hunting buddies and I can all be level and enjoy the misery of point creep together.
Non resident- archery- really enjoy the backpack/horse trips instead of basing at a house or lodge.
Does anyone have any recs for outfitters in draw units that require the 6-7 points to get in for archery?
**Update- spoke with Jeanne at J bar H and she seems great and very upfront and honest about opportunity, quality and what the process looks like with her outfit. I have 2-3 more points than required to draw her unit so I’m still looking for the most efficient way to fully utilize what I’ve got banked.

Last edited: