Colorado Elk and Bear combo

Dammlm

FNG
How many of you guys out there actually get the bear tag to go with the second or third rifle season elk? The "just in case" tag. Is it very common to still see them at the end of October or first week of November?

I guess there is always a good chance to see some late, lower country bears. we have had some crazy warm weather the last few years around then. Durango area

Bar

Banned
I prefer to concentrate on a bear hunt without combining them.

If you do it, you can create a baiting situation which is illegal normally to bait a bear in Co, but you can stake out a gut pile if you don't move it to a new location from the kill. You may have to kill off a few coyotes before a bear finds it, but that's ok too.

Keep in mind if you kill a bear you have to haul out not only the meat, but the hide and head for inspection.

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Curious, what are the bears feeding on that time of year? Are they feeding on berries? Sorry, mid-west flat lander hear so I have no experience on this subject.

topher89

WKR
We saw a bear last year during 2nd season in Colorado, somewhere between 8500 and 9000ft. It definitely can happen but at least in my experience, it is an exception not the rule.

njdoxie

WKR
Not me, it takes too much time away from elk hunting to take care of one....elk is priority 1, 2, 3, 4.......although if one is frequenting camp, would be nice to have a tag

Colorado, had. Bear at 25 yards last year though it was small. We had our base camp in a area with lots of passing hunters. Many would ask us if we had bear tags stating that they had seen them but had no tag. I figure i will give it a go. Never really bear hunted.

bogeyboy555

Lil-Rokslider
In colorado, it depends where you are hunting. if you are down south of I-70, it kind of makes sense to get one just in case....I get an archery mule deer, OTC either sex elk, and OTC archery bear tag for the west side of eagles nest and Holy Cross wilderness each year.for me, its a no brainer at like 45 bucks.

Another helpful resource is to call the local ranger districts and see where they are relocating the "problem bears" the ones they find in peoples garages and what not. the Gunnison area to Aspen has long been the hotspot for relocated bears. last year they closed down parts of Maroon Bells due to bear activity ripping apart backpackers tents.... I honestly believe the issue is that the elk run from people, and the bears gravitate towards people because most of the "REI outdoorsman" are novice and invite bear activity.... so you probably need to separate the hunts to truly do it right. but like others have said, it doesn't hurt to have the tag - especially when it costs less than a parking ticket.

KMT

WKR
I see bears through mid November above 10k feet. In Colorado. I've never hunted them though.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
No Berries in Nov, at least here in Oregon.

I would buy the tag, but only if the opportunity was stupid easy or say on the way out (if your not lucky on Elk) or its a camp problem.