Colorado 3rd season

Shraedus

FNG
Hello all,
I had originally planned to go for my first elk hunt in CO this September for archery however our plans had to change due to a wildfire and our access roads being closed until late Oct/early Nov. So, we are now going OTC for 3rd season. I thought I had my clothing figured out until the change. I currently have the following items of clothing, and would appreciate if you think they are adequate for that timeframe. I do run cold when sitting but warm up fine once active.

Badlands Mutton crew T-shirt (190g Wool) and Mutton long Johns (190g Wool)
FL Klin Hoody
FL Furnace Long Johns
FL Corrugate guide pants
FL Catalyst Jacket and pants
FL Uncompaghre puffy Jacket
FL Furnace beanie

Boots I have the Irish Setter 200 gm elk trackers/the heavier thinsulate Griz trackers depending on the temps.

Rain Gear I have a set from Frogg Toggs

I do have some fleece mid layers/Columbia base layers to mix in if needed.

We will be staying fairly active but will have periods of glassing.

Fortunately, I do have some time to make adjustments if needed. Thanks for your guidance!

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
Hey brother, I have experienced CO 2nd season otc & MT all seasons. Your FL base layers in hand are gonna work perfectly! Only reccomendation is; DarnTuff Socks or something similar & definitely a pair of Gaitors

OP
S

Shraedus

FNG
I have the merino socks set. I was leaning towards gaitors, I just haven't found what I want yet. Thank you!

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
Gaiters are a nice addition that really protect your pants & boots in both snow & wet morning grass/brush. They keep stickers & burrs away even in dry conditions. I’ve used outdoor reaserch heavy duty & now use Kuiu. Just sprayed camp-dry on them & let dry for 3 days this week getting ready. I was surprised at the difference they make even better if you hunt in shorter boots.

Clarence

WKR
Looks like a fine list if you won't be glassing for any longer periods. Warm gloves or glomit/mittens. If you plan on glassing any amount, you'll want a heavier puffy, and puffy pants probably. Last few years have had some pretty cold days in 3rd season

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shraedus

FNG
Thank you! This is the first year I have really upgraded my clothing past Walmart type stuff and for how little clothing this is, I really was concerned.

RO1459

FNG
I've hunted 3rd season CO for 40 years and can agree that you will need gaiters, and a good pair of gloves. 3rd season this year has been moved back to November 13. That is typically 4th season. You, and all of us hunting 3rd season this year, can count on very cold and heavy snow. Last year was a moderate year and we still had 10" at 9,000'. I would suggest you have chains for your truck and four wheel drive. I would also bring a heaver jacket just in case it gets really cold...and it could.

All of this said, you can never count on what the weather will do in the mountains. It could be beautiful, with temps in the 40's.

OP
S

Shraedus

FNG
I will probably be bringing a very warm parka since I will have room in my pack just in case. I have the gaitors on order along with some gloves. Thank you!

cnelk

WKR
I wear gaiters during archery season - for the main reason to keep the branches of deadfalls from catching my pant cuff and tripping me.

Poser

WKR
3rd rifle can be frigid conditions and psychologically, it can feel entirely desolate as if there isn’t a living animal anywhere in the mountains. The cold wind will dry your eyes and feel like it’s freezing your eyeballs when glassing like others said, warm gloves are a must. Kincos work well if you’re on a budget. 2-3 different options for gloves including a base layer with dexterity. The rubber grip mechanic’s gloves are great for setting up camp and can also be worn for butchering.

Down booties for camp shoes. You can get by without down pants but they sure are nice.

Couple of different options for headwear: going uphill vs. sitting still. I like to have a fleece ear band for climbing. That allows me to just wear a hat, my head to sweat and dry but not have freezing ears.

Have a plan for dealing with water which will often be frozen. I fill my stove out the bight before and let it freeze, sleep with a Nalgene to have a full bottle available. Otherwise, I use some black tinted Hydrapak bladders and leave them out in the sun during the day. You can also melt snow in them the same way. Melting snow for water over a fire can be very time consuming so build that into your schedule if that’s what you’ll be doing. If you’re melting ice, you’ll often need a hatchet of some type to chop the ice. A rock can work, but it’s terrible inefficient.

If you kill something and it is frigid, I would recommend getting your rope hang setup first and then build a fire before starting in on the butchering. If you wait until you’ve lost your fingers, both tasks will suck that much more.

Clarence

WKR
What your camp/sleeping accommodations are can dictate kit also. It's always a little shock to my system to come from a area where we have barely had a killing frost that time of year, to seeing single digits at night, and having some days when it doesn't get much above that. As others have said, think about how you will source and carry your water. Bladders are miserable when it's 0°, and filters are no fun to manage. Later season stuff is kind of a whole different animal. Good on you though for making the adjustment and making it happen to get out there.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
S

Shraedus

FNG
This is all new to me...I'm a long time hunter 35+years and this is a bucket list hunt for me. Although this is my first time, hopefully it won't be my last. I was stationed at Ft Carson back in the late 90's so I am aware of the altitude but have only been skiing there in the past. I will take all you have said and will make any adjustments needed. It will be challenging but worth it in my book!

MrBHSir

FNG
Hello all,
I had originally planned to go for my first elk hunt in CO this September for archery however our plans had to change due to a wildfire and our access roads being closed until late Oct/early Nov. So, we are now going OTC for 3rd season. I thought I had my clothing figured out until the change. I currently have the following items of clothing, and would appreciate if you think they are adequate for that timeframe. I do run cold when sitting but warm up fine once active.

Badlands Mutton crew T-shirt (190g Wool) and Mutton long Johns (190g Wool)
FL Klin Hoody
FL Furnace Long Johns
FL Corrugate guide pants
FL Catalyst Jacket and pants
FL Uncompaghre puffy Jacket
FL Furnace beanie

Boots I have the Irish Setter 200 gm elk trackers/the heavier thinsulate Griz trackers depending on the temps.

Rain Gear I have a set from Frogg Toggs

I do have some fleece mid layers/Columbia base layers to mix in if needed.

We will be staying fairly active but will have periods of glassing.

Fortunately, I do have some time to make adjustments if needed. Thanks for your guidance!
I always put in rain gear before sitting down on a glassing session on a cold morning. Keeps the heat in and the cold breeze out.