Colorado 2nd season

Jr4

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious on Colorado 2nd season successful hunts, no locations

It was a great hunt! We got snow right before the season and the weather was great during the season. Me and my buddy both shot bulls.

intunegp

WKR
Took my dad and grandpa out again, probably the last hurrah for 91 year old grandpa. Dad saw two cows on our third night out but only had a bull tag. Last day of our hunt I had us spread out on a ridge I know the elk travel and there was a decent 5x5 coming right to us...a truck and side by side flew up the road from the bottom of the ridge, stopped about 200 yards below us, five or six guys got out, and two shot at the bull. There was a kid maybe 6-8 who immediately started crying and yelling for her daddy. The "hunters" celebrated loudly enough for me to hear that the last time they saw him he was "barely moving". If they ever found that animal I found my peace knowing that they had one hell of a nasty pack out in steep, snowy terrain, even if it was only a few hundred yards. Unfortunately a pretty standard experience for OTC in that unit, I was just hoping we'd smack an elk with granpda along one last time.

Sir_mix88

FNG
First time out hunting elk. My dad, 2 brothers and myself. 1st camp was a bit too high and snow too deep for us, 2nd camp was gorgeous. The old man really struggled with the pack in and the hiking so we didn’t get to hunt very hard, but it was a great trip with lots of lessons learned and memories made. Probably the only elk hunt dad will make unless we get horses or something. I saw the only elk ( a cow I think) while stalking some timber on Wednesday before the snow. It was a good time and we learned plenty. Excited for next time.

Shot this small 5x5 bull on my third morning of hunting 2nd season. Was still hunting through some aspens when 3 bulls ran across the mountain less than 40 yards in front of me. They quickly disappeared by the time I got my rifle off my pack. I slowly crept forward until I saw an antler move. I got down on one knee and tried to spot him through myself cope but some large aspens were covering up most of the bull. He took a few steps forward and now I could only see his vitals, but wasn't sure which bull he was - I only knew all 3 bulls that ran in front were legal. I took a shot and the bulls scattered. I spent some time following the tracks, circling the area, looking for blood. Saw a small speck of blood on a brand on the ground that was bubbled up, so I knew got a lung hit. I looked up and saw him piled up under some spruce trees not further than 30 yards from where I shot him.

Spent 5 hours processing him, and hanging all the meat in the trees. Took one load of backstops, tenderloins, heart, and liver back to camp on Monday. Tuesday spent the entire day hiking 4 loads (hindquarters x 2, both front quarters, and head) up 900 ft. in elevation from 9400 to 10,300 feet - about 1 mile one way - to stage the meat for one last day of packing. Last trip on Tuesday evening I carried one hind quarter and the antlers back down to camp at 9700 ft. On Wednesday, I hiked from camp (9700 ft) up to 10300 ft to get the last 2 loads of meat and hiked it back down by noon. Took me from 9am Monday to 12noon on Wednesday to kill, process, and pack the meat out solo.

Attachments

• 2022 bull elk.jpg
    2022 bull elk.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 74
Saw elk every day, as the season grew longer, less folks were in the woods. It was cold in the morning and stayed cold throughout the day which was nice. Found a large herd on the last day, passed on several smaller bulls, hopefully they make it through 3rd and 4th season so they are a bit bigger next year.

Best 2nd rifle I've ever had, the snow really helped, though the cows/calves started moving to lower elevations by the end of the week due to how deep it was getting.