Colorado 2nd rifle OTC public land bull

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Well I finally got my first bull! He’s no giant but I’m proud of him and the effort that was put in to make it happen. The army of orange that was in this unit was nuts. I found a deep drainage that was 3 miles from a road and took the plunge. Found him bedded on a north facing slope of aspens with a smaller bull and 3 cows. He was initially 586 yards so I started down my side of the drainage to try and close the distance. When I got to 406 yards I had a clear shooting picture. I sat down with my shooting sticks and got steady. I double checked my distance and referenced my chart that I had taped to my stock. I cow called a half dozen times as loud as I could and he finally stood up. I squeezed off the first shot and he sat back on his haunches. When he got his feet under him I let another go. He turned to dive down the mountain but didn’t make it, he fell dead. Here is a picture. I had already started skinning before my brother in law and uncle made it to me. So blessed. Now off to Idaho where I drew a limited entry tag this year too!!!!!! I need to buy a lotto ticket.

Attachments

• FF625C89-A6C4-4C50-857B-10BC205458C0.jpeg
    FF625C89-A6C4-4C50-857B-10BC205458C0.jpeg
    700.6 KB · Views: 694
OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Well done! Wishes for doubling up in Idaho too. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
Don’t know about figured out but it was nice to have a plan work out. Definitely starting to put the pieces together.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Well done! Wishes for doubling up in Idaho too. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
Thanks. I’ll need some luck and prayers. Spent a week in the unit scouting last month. Found a few good bulls. Hopefully I can find them in the same areas again.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats! Slim odds in that Sea of Orange!
Absolutely. Sooo much pressure in those OTC units. The worst part for me is that not everyone hunts the same and I’m somewhat methodical/passive in my approach and I can’t count the number of times I’ve been messed up by a more aggressive style of hunter. But it is everyone’s land so it is what it is. Woo sah!

Tim Box

FNG
Well I finally got my first bull! He’s no giant but I’m proud of him and the effort that was put in to make it happen. The army of orange that was in this unit was nuts. I found a deep drainage that was 3 miles from a road and took the plunge. Found him bedded on a north facing slope of aspens with a smaller bull and 3 cows. He was initially 586 yards so I started down my side of the drainage to try and close the distance. When I got to 406 yards I had a clear shooting picture. I sat down with my shooting sticks and got steady. I double checked my distance and referenced my chart that I had taped to my stock. I cow called a half dozen times as loud as I could and he finally stood up. I squeezed off the first shot and he sat back on his haunches. When he got his feet under him I let another go. He turned to dive down the mountain but didn’t make it, he fell dead. Here is a picture. I had already started skinning before my brother in law and uncle made it to me. So blessed. Now off to Idaho where I drew a limited entry tag this year too!!!!!! I need to buy a lotto ticket.
Nice bull
Nice bull