Colorado 2nd Rifle Help/Questions

rootacres

WKR
Hello all, I was hoping for some help/input on this hunt. I will be in Unit 34, public ground and access won't be an issue. Finding a buck may be a different story. That said I do have a few questions as this will be my first muley hunt in this state. I am open to any and all input.

1.) I own an ATV, I also have a 4wd truck w/ good ATs & chains. Should I bring the ATV?

2.) It appears Im on the edge of wolf country and in black bear country. Forgive my ignorance, but should I bring a sidearm?

3.) I may truck hunt, I may spike in. Do I need to hang my food in trees or should I be good?

4.) Much of this hunt will be similar to others, but throw any input at me. I will listen.

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t hunt 34 but do hunt the second rifle season.

I prefer to bring an atv, it’s especially nice when those roads get muddy. I don’t like to beat up my truck if I don’t have to.

I personally don’t bring a side arm when I’m carrying a rifle.

I just put my food in a tree next to my tent to keep rodents out. It’s only as high as my arms can reach.

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re worried about a bear, just buy a bear tag and you’re guaranteed to not see one. JK!
I wouldn’t worry much about bears or wolves. I’ve muley hunted quite a few units the past 10 years straight and have yet to see a bear.

Some units an ATV helps and some it doesn’t. Don’t know anything about the roads or access in 34 to answer that question
Be prepared for all weather conditions. Last year during third was hot and tshirt weather. The year before during 3rd never got above freezing with lots of snow.

Good luck

I have never hunted 34 specifically, but...

1.) I would bring it.
2.) No. Not necessary.
3.) Same as Jim. I worry about rodents, no bears.