Colorado 2022 DIY Backcountry Hunting Partner

Spoony

FNG
Not sure why this feels like a M4M post, but anyway...

About me, My name is Derrick, I am a 40 YO mechanical engineer, avid hunter and fly fisherman, new to Colorado, new to elk hunting, new to mule deer hunting, new to this forum. I am located in Golden, CO to be exact. I am rarely serious, have been known to carry a 12 pack of beer on long backpacking trips, I drink too much in my free time, and I am funny (maybe in my own mind). I am an extremely ethical hunter, started hunting at 11 YO, and treasure these mountains and the animals that use them. I do not tolerate public land yahoos, so if you litter, take bad or unsafe shots, harass animals, muzzle flash me or my dog one too many times, you and I will not last. I am by the book.

I obtained a 2nd rifle Buck tag for GMU 38 in the 3rd choice secondary draw. Not my most sellar draw but I am hell bent on finding a 170+ so close to Denver and am not afraid of not filling the tag. An OTC elk tag will fill the freezer just fine. I value the chase and plan on hunting high country basins in wilderness areas hard, which means backpacks and long hikes from trailheads, and a difficult pack out if successful. I have been on one "kinda" scout trip so far (I mostly fished) and have another planned shortly, 8/5-8/7. I have 2 glassing roosts identified and have seen a few deer in the area. I presume GMU 38 will have leftover tags Aug 2 so tags may be available Aug 2 if interested. I plan on earning my buck, taking it with a rifle this year. But bow hunting intrigues me.

So if you want to come earn a deer with me, scout up some big bucks, shoot some doves Sept. 1, or try to wack 20"+ brown trout on dry flies, I might your man. PM if interested. Ill fill you in on the intel I have gathered this far on the spot.

Hope to meet some cool hunters in the area!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the Rok! I’m just a bit north of ya in Arvada.

OP
S

Spoony

FNG
Thank you! Yes, not too far.

I forgive you for joining this forum on my ex girlfriends birthday.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Born and raised in Arvada currently live in golden, pm me if ya like I might have some info for you, spent/spend a lot of time in the front range hills.

Last edited:

Lfkfam

FNG
I'm just up the hill in the Winter Park area. I've got a second season tag too but for a different unit. I'll be out for early goose/grouse/snipe on 9/1 but if you ever want to hunt some bird and drink beers at some point, I'm happy to show you my side of town. Lots of elk up here in the county too. Cheers

OP
S

Spoony

FNG
Awesome everyone! Cool community here! I’ll start reaching out to all of you. Maybe a
Meetup between a few of us? We shall see

OP
S

Spoony

FNG
I'm just up the hill in the Winter Park area. I've got a second season tag too but for a different unit. I'll be out for early goose/grouse/snipe on 9/1 but if you ever want to hunt some bird and drink beers at some point, I'm happy to show you my side of town. Lots of elk up here in the county too. Cheers
I lived in Frazier for almost a year. And have been in every beer hole from Granby to Old Town (Adolfs). I am a big bird hunter and have a champion Labrador duck dog. We picked up a few grouse last year, and lots and lots of ducks. Soon as I figure the PM thing I’ll send you a message.

Golden here as well, 42, just started hunting 4 years ago. Have shot a couple deer in 38. Ive grabbed a 3rd season doe in 38 and drew a RFW deer tag this year to fill the freezer. Probably try to grab that late 38 C tag again on leftover day and try to draw Centennial Cone again. I'll be up Elk hunting 1st season in the flat tops (cow and bull tag). Would be down to partner up with someone for the pack-outs and whatnot. I rarely drink but have a beer or 2 every now and again and enjoy a toke. Not an engineer (analytical) by any means, more of a carefree "get er done" DIY, joker type. Slower hiker, bit overweight, ethical hunter. Guilty of "muzzling" when people change positions and I have my rifle slung over my shoulder or in my pack hiking up, but never loaded then, and never muzzled anyone with a live round out pheasant hunting or out actively elk/deer hunting. Would love to go dove hunting, never been, heard they taste awesome.

OP
S

Spoony

FNG
Hey Meathunter. I am too new and Rokslide won’t allow me to PM yet? But I am down with the packout idea. I just pulled a leftover tag for Bull elk in 038, 2nd rifle. I am gonna need help if I am successful. We should talk more. Curious about Ranching for Wildlife tags. My buddy got one for cow elk, to fill the freezer.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Meathunter. I am too new and Rokslide won’t allow me to PM yet? But I am down with the packout idea. I just pulled a leftover tag for Bull elk in 038, 2nd rifle. I am gonna need help if I am successful. We should talk more. Curious about Ranching for Wildlife tags. My buddy got one for cow elk, to fill the freezer.
You’re both under the 10 post threshold for being able to private message. In the mean time tag each other so that you’re notified of the conversation. Just add the @ in front of the name. @Spoony @MeathunterT

@Spoony Bull elk 2nd rifle? Isn't 2nd and 3rd on the OTC in 38? We can't private message each other, and im not sharing my contact details on here. Im up in FlatTops putting up cameras and fishing the White at the moment. Wanna meet at Rock Rest sometime?

OP
S

Spoony

FNG
@Spoony Bull elk 2nd rifle? Isn't 2nd and 3rd on the OTC in 38? We can't private message each other, and im not sharing my contact details on here. Im up in FlatTops putting up cameras and fishing the White at the moment. Wanna meet at Rock Rest sometime?
@MeathunterT Yes, bull elk tag I have is OTC in 2R. And 38 is OTC. I now realize I gave the impression that it was a draw tag. Yes, don't share. The wardens are watching (just kidding wardens). I am going back up to scout this weekend for 3 days but maybe Rock Rest the weekend after? I really need to start putting in effort, my last scout did not revel any deer.

@MeathunterT and @Spoony, I’m on the other side of the metro area in Parker but would still be willing to help pack out as well if needed (working from home has perks). New to elk, got 2R tags for gmu18 and hoping to fill the freezer. Also interested in getting into upland and waterfowl, got lots of experience with those pesky clay birds.

Magua

FNG
hey spoony, saw your post. im 37M, I live in Denver and I like long walks on the beach.... (haha)

anyway, I work 4 days a week so plenty of time off. I grew up beer drinking/ fly fishing / duck / white tail hunting in the Adirondacks. Ill be busy elk hunting from mid October till the end of the month but im down to hike around and do some scouting with you around then. Even get a few duck hunts in if youre looking for an extra in your group.

I got a 4x4 camper for long range missions and can take unlimited vacation time so no worries there.

I cant pm on here yet but my email is [email protected]

shoot me a message.

Vids

WKR
I want to throw my name in the hat on this post too. I do have some good hunting partners, but the last few years it's been next to impossible to get people on the same page so I'd like to add some more. Have any of you had a chance to get together to grab a beer? I'd be up for it sometime. Either that or a training hike. Reach out and let's make something happen!

46M, civil engineer, enjoy having a few beers but that doesn't get in the way of being up before sunrise. Been hunting since I was about 10-11. I've taken elk, pronghorn, whitetail, sheep and goat. I mostly hunt big game, but would be up for the occasional waterfowl hunt. Live in the tech center area.

@Spoony - I still do not have a bull tag or a deer tag for this year, and I'm available during second season so we may be able to line something up there if you're interested.

Hey @Vids, I’m a 46m, IT guy wfh in Parker… new to CO and to big game, have tags for 2nd rifle in GMU18 and would definitely like to build a network of hunting partners in the area. Interested in upland, Turkey and waterfowl hunts as well. Anyway I’d be up for meeting for a beer or something.