Colo Early Deer (rifle) is all Private Land Only?

davsco

WKR
I looked at the top 10 buck producing units (2021 stats) and then cross-referencing with the Colo Big Game licenses (2022) all the early rifle seasons (anything before 2nd rifle) all look to be private land only, is that right? Some say above timberline only but not a lot of bucks reported.

Last edited:
Prior to 2nd rifle season there is archery, muzzleloader, and the high country early rifle seasons which are all in September and are definitely not private land only. My guess (without the regs in front of me) is you're seeing some of the Eastern Plains and Ranching for Wildlife hunts which can be earlier in October.

ckleeves

WKR
You might be looking at some of the PLO early season hunts to reduce CWD. If it’s not designated above timberline and it’s PLO good chance that’s what it is.

Most likely, lots of PLO tags start early, offhand I think I can get unlimited C tags for my house that run from September to January, for both bucks and does. Alot of the early season tags you see could fall under this category as well.

Elkrunner

FNG
I’ve done high elevation September deer rifle hunts the last 3 years. They are on public land either in wilderness areas or above a certain elevation. Definitely not a PLO tag. They way CPW lumps certain seasons and units in its reporting makes it confusing in some cases because there are early season PLO tags for some Eastern Colorado units as well