Cold Weather Gear Help

phins420

FNG
I'm looking to upgrade my weather gear setup and looking for some advice. This setup will be used for low 20's to 40's temperatures. I'll be using a 150 merino base layer and then maybe the first lite furnace. Question is for bibs, first lite sanctuary or solitude. For tops, I'm using a 200 merino base layer and then a 260 merino base layer, then the sitka equinox hoodie. I do have the first lite solitude vest but don't think that would be enough. I am looking at the sitka fanatic vest or the first lite solitude jacket. Thoughts?

Welcome.

i have a set of solitudes. I have taken them down that cold and colder but it took some layers. I would say the solitude set shines 30-50*. If you are going to stand hunt a lot in 30s and below, I would look at the sanctuary. The fanatic is phenomenal. Probably the best stand hunting rig out there. Sitka stuff is super specialized for a given type of hunting. I went first lite mainly based on price and the thought that their stuff was a little more general purpose. Flash forward a couple of years and I have relocated and do more deer stand hunting and less duck and turkey hunting. Had that been the case when I bought, I might have gone Sitka. IMO they are just on another level in terms of design and execution, but also price.

OP
P

phins420

FNG
Thanks for the info DJ, I totally agree with sitka being on another level but the price compared to the first lite is definitely a decision maker. I will probably go with the sanctuary bibs but the only down side is the bulkiness over the solitude bibs. The warmer the bulkier I guess.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have the sanctuary so take this for what it’s worth but most of the comments I read regarding it are that it’s for extreme cold. From what I’ve read, it sounds to me like 30-40 degrees would be too warm to move around in the sanctuary.

I have the solitude and think it would be a more versatile option for the top range of your temps and then add in appropriate base layers for the lower end

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Fanatic bibs and jacket. If it won’t get below 40 I’ll go no base layer on the bottoms, and if it’s down to 20 I’ll add a mid layer and stratus vest up top and a puffy vest or jacket if really cold. 3 whitetail seasons in been very happy with it.

OP
P

phins420

FNG
Fellas, that’s for all the info!!! I think I’m gonna go with the fanatic vest. I can layer a 200 base with a 260 mid base then the sitka equinox hoody and finally the fanatic vest and should be good down to the mid 20’s hopefully. Question is medium or large size. I’m 5’10” 160lbs.