Cold weather boots

bmart2622

WKR
I need some cold weather boots for late season elk hunting. Hunt mostly from horseback so I have long periods of inactivity while riding. Looking hard at the Hoffman Cowboy Pac or Crispi Wild Rock. Anyone one have in field experience they can offer?

jscott8

FNG
I know this is a little different than what you are looking for, but the Kenetrek Mountain Guides are stellar boots.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
I shouldn't say hate, thats too strong. Ive used Kennetreks in the past and they did not agree with my feet and they are overpriced

drra

FNG
If I know it is going to be cold and dealing with snow I still wear Sorel Pac Boots and wool socks - I like to have warm,dry feat. I have no idea if one can wear Pac Boots on horseback (maybe in your pack).

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Yeah, the concern isnt being able to wear them when Im riding, just looking for thoughts on the Hoffmans. I dont want to carry 2 pairs of boots

twodogs

FNG
I've had two pair of Schnee's pacs. Several years ago I switched to the Hoffman Outback for cold and snowy elk hunting. I love those boots.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I have a older version the Hoffman Cowboy Packs and love them. My size 13 s are still pretty wide though and just barely fit in a extra wide stirrup. I'm not sure how wide the other sizes would be. Very well made and comfortable.

sargent

WKR
I have a pair of the Crispi Wild Rock pluses. I've never ridden a horse in them, but they have been a comfortable, warm, waterproof boot for me. Good luck with your search.

yfarm

WKR
I have a pr of Whites cowboy pacs just rebottomed by Hoffman with cowboy bottoms. Easy to fit in a stirrup. I wear a size 9.5 in a mountain boot, are size 10 fit well with room to move my toes. Thought about the regular bottom, went back and forth but got cowboy, dont regret. Have also used arctic shield boot covers over uninsulated lathrop mountain hunters for long periods of inactivity that kept my feet warm. This year used 400 gm insulated boots on a horseback hunt that had temps in the morning in the 20s with 2-3 hr rides, feet got cool a few times but not cold. Used them rather than the pacs as we were hunting at 11k elevation and had fair amount of walking in sketchy terrain. If it were colder for longer periods either 1000gm mountain boots or pacs

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Crispi wild rock plus with smartwool hunt model socks keeps my feet warm down to very cold temps while sitting still. Would need oversized stirrups but bottom grip is really good, excellent on snow and ice.

OP
B

bmart2622

WKR
Ive ridden hundreds of miles with my Hamwag Alaskans so Im not concerned about mountain boots fitting in my stirrups

I have had whites, kennetrek’s, hoffman, and schnee’s. The schnee hunter 2s and the Hoffman guides are my picks they are half as bulky-clumsy feeling while walking and a little lighter insulated so your your feet don’t get near as wet.

AlbinoTan

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a question on cold weather boots!

So, I'm about to head out on my first elk hunt in a month here. I have a pair of Garmont T8 NFS 670's that I'm very comfortable with and have hiked all over the country in. However, I've never taken them into a cold weather environment. My question and hesitation is this...these boots have a pair of small vents on the inside of the sole. Does this entirely negate them as useful for possible snowy conditions in the second rifle season of Colorado? I'm trying to save as much money as possible, and id love to avoid breaking in a new pair of boots with the time that I have left. Any thoughts?
USPT_FT1411_1500_2.jpg