CO units 45, 48 & 49 info???

J-Daddy

WKR
Looks like I might be moving to the area around Leadville, CO...Units 45,48 & 49 are some of the closest units to that area of the state...I know 45 is OTC and 48 & 49 are draw units, anyone hunt those areas cause if I move up there those units will be home to me. I've never been in that part of the state "yet" and don't know crap about it, just looking for some general info on elk population, size and maybe a little mule deer info too.
Thanks in advance.

Never been in 45 or 48... Dad drew a 49 archery tag this year. Didn't get to go with him due to guiding obligations but he had a good hunt to say the least.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
Never been in 45 or 48... Dad drew a 49 archery tag this year. Didn't get to go with him due to guiding obligations but he had a good hunt to say the least.

So I take it dad shot a good one in 49? Doesn't seem to be much info floating around about these units...I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

bz_711

WKR
J-Daddy,
I have hunted 45 the last two years, archery for 5 days each year. 2010 I would rank as a great hunt, saw Elk 4 of 5 days and buddy shot a 5x4 at 15 yards while we were standing shoulder to shoulder...that hooked me for life. Last year was brutal...very late spring in 2011 from record snows meant fall had not even begun when we were there...aspens were all green, and no bugling...I saw 3 elk in 5 days.

I'm still new to Elk hunting...only 10 total days experience...from what I've researched, 45 does not rank very popular for CO...it's best attraction is that it's OTC. I would rank it a very steep and rugged unit...but the scenery and beauty of that unit is one thing that draws me back. My opinion is you must be in serious shape and put in a lot of boot miles to be successful in this area. And, I highly recommend Quincy's steakhouse in Leadville for a nice break from Elk Camp food:)

Good Luck - you are in some of the prettiest country in the USA.

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
J-Daddy,
I have hunted 45 the last two years, archery for 5 days each year. 2010 I would rank as a great hunt, saw Elk 4 of 5 days and buddy shot a 5x4 at 15 yards while we were standing shoulder to shoulder...that hooked me for life. Last year was brutal...very late spring in 2011 from record snows meant fall had not even begun when we were there...aspens were all green, and no bugling...I saw 3 elk in 5 days.

I'm still new to Elk hunting...only 10 total days experience...from what I've researched, 45 does not rank very popular for CO...it's best attraction is that it's OTC. I would rank it a very steep and rugged unit...but the scenery and beauty of that unit is one thing that draws me back. My opinion is you must be in serious shape and put in a lot of boot miles to be successful in this area. And, I highly recommend Quincy's steakhouse in Leadville for a nice break from Elk Camp food:)

Good Luck - you are in some of the prettiest country in the USA.

You see any good deer up in there???? I guess one plus is I'd be living up in that area year round so maybe that would help me find some spots that were solid incase I didn't draw any other elk units.

bz_711

WKR
You see any good deer up in there???? I guess one plus is I'd be living up in that area year round so maybe that would help me find some spots that were solid incase I didn't draw any other elk units.

Although I saw plenty of deer - especially last year - I did not get into good bucks. But, a couple very big bucks were spotted each year by others in camp - a couple I recall were very close to road. I also had a 30 yard encounter with a brown phase black bear last year...would have liked a tag in that instance.

You are in a good position - put in for a couple draw units each year...if no luck, 45 would be a good fall back, especially if you get time to scout out a good spot. From what others tell me 48 can be drawn nearly every year, but definitely every other year and ups your odds of getting into elk over 45.

Good Luck - keep us posted. Take some pics if you get chance to get out and scout...

hobbes

WKR
I just moved from Leadville to MT last year. I spent the last 5 years living there. I didn't hunt 48 and 49, but instead OTC in 45, 37, 44, 36. There are plenty of elk in 45, but its rugged country. The Holy Cross Wilderness is some big nasty beautiful country. I knew some guys that stayed in 48 because I believe its easier to draw for archery than 49, but I stayed with OTC to hunt with friends that lived in Eagle and to make hunting after work (in Avon) easier.

I still have a house for sale there in Leadville. You buy it and I'll include a map to every elk and deer I ever saw there........LOL!

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
I just moved from Leadville to MT last year. I spent the last 5 years living there. I didn't hunt 48 and 49, but instead OTC in 45, 37, 44, 36. There are plenty of elk in 45, but its rugged country. The Holy Cross Wilderness is some big nasty beautiful country. I knew some guys that stayed in 48 because I believe its easier to draw for archery than 49, but I stayed with OTC to hunt with friends that lived in Eagle and to make hunting after work (in Avon) easier.

I still have a house for sale there in Leadville. You buy it and I'll include a map to every elk and deer I ever saw there........LOL!

Send me a link to the house cause I might be house shopping before long up there.

hobbes

WKR
I know this is off subject of the elk and deer around Leadville, but consider it some friendly advice.

I don't want to discourage you from moving to Leadville, but make sure you understand the changes your looking at from Iowa. Long winters (really long) and very short if any summer. I enjoyed it.......my wife.......not so much. Check out the cost of housing. Leadville is cheaper than dropping into Silverthorne/Frisco or Vail/Avon, but its still likely more expensive than Iowa. Housing has dropped slightly, but its still crazy. Rentals are very hard to come by. I'm renting my house to good renters right now and they lucked into mine being available when they needed it. I sold a house in IL that would have cost me three times as much in Leadville and easily five or six times as much in the Eagle Valley (Eagle or Gypsum) and they don't build houses that "middle class" in Edwards, Avon, or Vail. Unless your ocupation is substantially above middle class, expect a step or two down in housing arrangements. With that said, I sucked it up and did it because I wanted to live in the mountains. It did finally wear me down because I could barely afford to do anything as a single income family. I had to look for employment somewhere cheaper in CO or another western state (MT or WY) and ended up in MT. If the front range had been an option for me I probably could have found something there, but there are too many people there for me to keep my sanity.

Also, if you like mexican food, Leadville has some awesome authentic mexican food. I honestly miss it more than anything.

As far as my house, I have it listed through Century 21 and will likely pull it the end of October if it doesn't sell and relist in the spring. If you decide to move and really want to look at it, I'll forward you a link to it. As far as where I've seen elk and deer, if you move I'll point you in the direction to some areas to look at, but I'll have to keep it to areas that I found on my own and not something I hunted with any of my CO buddies and it won't have anything to do with looking at my house. LOL

OP
J-Daddy

J-Daddy

WKR
I know this is off subject of the elk and deer around Leadville, but consider it some friendly advice.

I don't want to discourage you from moving to Leadville, but make sure you understand the changes your looking at from Iowa. Long winters (really long) and very short if any summer. I enjoyed it.......my wife.......not so much. Check out the cost of housing. Leadville is cheaper than dropping into Silverthorne/Frisco or Vail/Avon, but its still likely more expensive than Iowa. Housing has dropped slightly, but its still crazy. Rentals are very hard to come by. I'm renting my house to good renters right now and they lucked into mine being available when they needed it. I sold a house in IL that would have cost me three times as much in Leadville and easily five or six times as much in the Eagle Valley (Eagle or Gypsum) and they don't build houses that "middle class" in Edwards, Avon, or Vail. Unless your ocupation is substantially above middle class, expect a step or two down in housing arrangements. With that said, I sucked it up and did it because I wanted to live in the mountains. It did finally wear me down because I could barely afford to do anything as a single income family. I had to look for employment somewhere cheaper in CO or another western state (MT or WY) and ended up in MT. If the front range had been an option for me I probably could have found something there, but there are too many people there for me to keep my sanity.

Also, if you like mexican food, Leadville has some awesome authentic mexican food. I honestly miss it more than anything.

As far as my house, I have it listed through Century 21 and will likely pull it the end of October if it doesn't sell and relist in the spring. If you decide to move and really want to look at it, I'll forward you a link to it. As far as where I've seen elk and deer, if you move I'll point you in the direction to some areas to look at, but I'll have to keep it to areas that I found on my own and not something I hunted with any of my CO buddies and it won't have anything to do with looking at my house. LOL

Thanks for the advice...I'm gonna drop you a PM.