CO S9 Ewe

So I drew a Colorado S9 ewe tag and got some questions since I have never chased sheep before. So I am casting a wide net here to see if I can find some people w/ more experience to school me.

I have tried to get in contact w/ CPW personnel but I have not heard anything back…so for those of you who have gotten to hunt sheep in Colorado or in S9 if you have any inputs on what I have below let me know.
  • Overall size…seeing size for ewes running about 180 lbs weight wise. So figuring just using my 7mm rem mag w/ 140 accubonds and probably 2 trips to get out meat & camp out ( obviously vertical & linear distance + temp dependent )
  • Any idea on ground to top of back ( seen 36" on several pages:) or brisket to top of back measurements ( for range estimation )
  • In mid September are you seeing the rams & ewes still running separate
  • Group Size for ewes, how many kids running around?
  • Does anyone know of any resources on biology of the unit other than last year's management plan?
  • I know they spend a lot of time above tree line…when you have observed them have they been well above tree line or just skirting the tree line
  • What have you seen as far as : how often do they hit water and if you have any opinions on what you saw as far as distance from water & types ( seeps vs alpine lakes )
  • Activity level…more active during dawn / desk or all throughout day…do they hit grass then chew cud for a while…what was your feel about how much they moved around
  • So for S9 I would not expect it to get a lot of hiker traffic other than Crestone Peak I expect…how skittish on human activity…what’s the distance you saw them get skittish.
  • Things you learned or would have done differently from approach you used or equipment that did not cut it
Planning on doing this as a solo, pack in approach just based on what I can get away with. Any schooling appreciated.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Congrats on the tag. It is an incredible area. I am from out of state but have been in the area 7 times over the last 30 yrs the last times were in 2018 and 2019. I am very familiar with the east side between North Colony and Venable. There could be considerable hiking activity near any trailhead (S Colony, Horn Lakes, Alvarado Campground) depending on weather and days of the week. Almost all the sheep I have seen in the area have been significantly above timberline which is usually above 11,500ft. Not sure how much info you would like but I can point out some places to look, glass, and camp if you need places to start. I’m a little jealous, not gonna lie.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Just reread your post and can answer a few more questions. 180lbs seems a little heavy for a ewe in that area. I would guess 150 tops. I think you could shoot a ewe with a .243 or larger. Rams and ewes will be separate. Group size for ewe and lambs I have seen were 6-20. I have never seen a sheep at a lake in the areas I have been. Sheep hunting is great all day: don’t have to get up too early if the sheep aren’t in the trees

Ewes are not very big, maybe half the weight of a ram- an easy single pack load. 243, 6.5 Crede or anything in this general range is more than adequate.

Sheep habitat is different through out the range, I would start by glassing big grassy bowls (with rough steep areas near by a plus) above timberline. They may or may not be with rams, but at least you know you are in sheep country.

OP
P
Yeah I'm looking at the maps right now trying to use the caltopo to get some escape terrain w/ grass plotted out. I've figured out how to use the LOS thing for figuring where I can look up into these spots. Thanks for the weight feedback. Always watching that for getting stuff out w/o it spoiling when you having to hike in a ways. I don't ever want to screw that up.

Not sure if you’ve called the main office but maybe call the nearest regional office and ask for the contact info for the divisional wildlife manager along with the biologist over that area. I did that for my ewe area and have already talked to both. Also look at buying the hunt data maps to see harvest trends and locations in the zone.

HUNTNUT

FNG
Just reread your post and can answer a few more questions. 180lbs seems a little heavy for a ewe in that area. I would guess 150 tops. I think you could shoot a ewe with a .243 or larger. Rams and ewes will be separate. Group size for ewe and lambs I have seen were 6-20. I have never seen a sheep at a lake in the areas I have been. Sheep hunting is great all day: don’t have to get up too early if the sheep aren’t in the trees
Another thing and it is pretty obvious, but always plan your glassing session so the Sun is at your back for bighorns if possible.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
You do not need much firepower for a ewe, any legal rifle will do.
Get in reasonable range (300 yds) for the shot and just about do not need to estimate range with avg gun set at 1-3 inches high at 100 yards. Do not take very long shots and certainly not by estimating based on assumed sheep size/height, just not necessary! Get a rangefinder, they are cheap and easy and effective to really know the shot to be taken versus guessing.

Have you signed up for the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society’s July 9th Sheep and Goat hunter meet and Greet? If not get signed up and plan to attend and converse with experts and previous S9 hunters who will provide a ton of detailed suggestions as you pore over maps together. The sooner you sign up the sooner we will know to recruit folks who know the S9 ewe hunts t be on hand to help you.

Have you joined the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society yet? If not suggest doing so. All giys and gals who draw Colo sheep should join. What better karma to have for your hunt than to support the one org that has done so much to create and preserve the very hunt opportunity you have in hand? Join us and participate in our mission to ‘put more sheep on the mountain’ via our projects and advocacy. Also you instantly have a built in network of sheep fanatics to dream and scheme with.

You are in for a great experience. Enjoy the ride, prepare well and could not overstate the value you would get from participating in RMBS events such as the July 9 meet and greet. Getting to know a bunch of folks who love sheep and sheep hunting and will be pulling for you could be invaluable and will certainly be fun.

What I advise is the same advice I took for myself back in 2003 when I was exactly in your shoes, holding my first sheep tag (ewe) and not knowing much about sheep hunting. Now I have lifelong friends, who like me eat, drink, and sleep wild sheep and sheep hunting at every opportunity.

Kirby
RMBS Board member and LUCKY previous bighorn hunter (1 ewe and two ram tags)

Last edited: