CO Outfitter/Good Teacher

Mcribs

FNG
I’m new to Elk/Mountain Hunting, and live in CO. I’ve been reading, talking to other hunters and getting out there when I can. Got my first rifle cow elk last year DYI and I’m hooked. As a 44 yo, I’m trying to accelerate the learning curve. I want to get after mountain hunting hard. Of course, there’s no true shortcut but I think I could speed things up with the right experiences/coaching. I’m in good shape to hustle up mountains.

I’m not looking for someone to put me on elk. Success will not be harvest, but working through the hunt process and learning as we go. I want someone with experience and ability to slow it down and coach through an elk hunt (pre/during).

Any recommendations or thoughts on the direction to take or if you have someone in mind that could help? Also - I don’t have any points, so may need to work OTC archery/2nd/3rd rifle 😬

I was 44 when i did my first elk hunt and was hooked too! I was so hooked in fact i was in the same exact boat, so i started looking everywhere i could to try and find the answers. Luckily i got some great advice from some great elk killers on A/T and the Bowsite and a few of them took me under their wings and mentored me. I asked alot of stupid questions about elk and different situations, what ifs and what could have been type questions based on what I'd seen that first year as well as hypotheticals.

Simply put, i felt an urgency to learn as much as i could as fast as i could. Because let’s face it, once we hit 40, time flies. And as a knew bowhunter, i had and still do have alot to learn. That is one of the beauty's of hunting elk. It’s turned into a lifetime of a learning obsession and it won’t end until i physically can't or am no longer here if ya know what i mean.

Luckily for me i hit the jackpot when i discovered The Elknut! And i started killing elk the very next year and haven’t looked back. My mentors played a huge part as well and i owe them all a huge thank you!

And after 15 years of this obsession, I've still never asked someone where to hunt, nor joined the hunting fool or go hunt or any of that other bs and have been able to forge my own way to success and finding my own places to hunt. And that i am quite proud of.

So my advice would be to find a mentor or 5 and go from there. The sky is the limit as long as we are willing to learn and never think we know it all because it will last the rest of our lives. We will always find a way to hunt them. No matter what our manner of take is. And the best part about it for me is everytime i take a bite and relive my hunts with each chew.

Best of luck! What a ride you are getting yourself into at the ripe young age.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mcribs

FNG
I was 44 when i did my first elk hunt and was hooked too! I was so hooked in fact i was in the same exact boat, so i started looking everywhere i could to try and find the answers. Luckily i got some great advice from some great elk killers on A/T and the Bowsite and a few of them took me under their wings and mentored me. I asked alot of stupid questions about elk and different situations, what ifs and what could have been type questions based on what I'd seen that first year as well as hypotheticals.

Simply put, i felt an urgency to learn as much as i could as fast as i could. Because lets face it, once we hit 40, time flies. And as a knew bowhunter, i jad and still do have alot to learn. That is one of the beauty's of hunting elk. Its turned into a lifetime of a learning obsession and it wont end until i physically can't or am no longer here if ya know what i mean.

And luckily for me i hit the jackpot when i discovered The Elknut! And i staryed killing elk the very next year and havent looked back. My mentors played a huge part as well and i owe them all a huge thank you as well.

And after 15 years of this obsession, I've still never asked someone where to hunt, nor joined the hunting fool or go huntbor any of that other bs and have been able to forge my own way to success and finding my own places to hunt. And that i am quite proud of.

So my advice would be to find a mentor or 5 and go from there. The sky is the limit as long as we are willing to learn and never think we know it all because it will last the rest of our lives. We will always find a way to hunt them. No matter what our manner of take is. And the best part about it for me is everytime i take a bite and relive my hunts with each chew.

Best of luck! What a ride you are getting yourself into at the ripe young age.
Great advice and very inspiring, thank you. I’m definitely finding some kind and willing mentors along the way.

OP
M

Mcribs

FNG
Yeah...I think you are going to be hard pressed to find some stranger on Rokslide or any of the other forums that is going to want someone they don't know to tag along. Like SDHNTR suggested you are going to be better off meeting some folks in person.
Should have been more clear: looking for outfitter or guide (paid) that can go beyond just putting me on a nice bull quickly, but help accelerate the learning curve across scouting, glassing, wind and stalking, etc. Maybe that’s not a thing, but if that person exist, shoot me a recommendation. I’m not looking to find buddies on the internet, although I’m sure you guys are great