CO OTC Elk 2023 Questions

Snacks are delicious. They packed it all in for sure. Lights, speakers dj equipment and all the “necessities” for a rave. It was amazing.

I am essentially brand new to hunting. i grew up in Indiana hunting whitetail with my dad. moved to colorado at 20 years old and now ive been hunting elk the past 2 years going on my third year.

Ive learned a few things very quickly: 1. do not expect anything. I expected to go on a backcountry camping trip. did not scout the place that i have hunted prior to. Had just enough food to last me a day and overnight. but because i didnt expect anything, i was quite happy when i came across my first harem on the way back to the truck. and i consider that a very good successful first hunt.

2. equipment is expensive and if you want to "go deep" you better expect to be feeling like you are dead when you are finished. even if you didnt harvest. i had 65lbs on my back my first time hunting and as fun as it was, oh man that was the toughest hike of my life and i hike pretty regularly. "pack as light as possible"

3. i think most of the time (in over the counter areas at least) if you are hunting bow, early and high altitude is most likely going to get you better chances. not always the case. ive had people tell me where i parked my truck they saw elk that morning in the campgrounds. im guessing because the food was abundant at that altitude (still need to figure food out for elk) but the saying goes, "the elk are where you aren't." and i get why now.

overall, i plan to scout a lot this year during the summer. and then i will make a plan as to where i do want to hunt. but aside from that, its all about determination. just get out there. ive learned so much more going out on the hunt than i ever did looking up info online.

Good Luck!

So I have finally decided to commit to an OTC elk hunt in 2023. I’ve narrowed down the season to archery and the region to the south/southwest. I know people find success covering lots of ground on roads, but I would really love to go in deep since getting as far as I can from civilization is half the fun for me.

My current plan is to try my hardest to get as far from people as I can and try to locate places the elk would experience less pressure from other hunters. I’d be looking for places at 8k-12k ft of elevation with plenty of timber, scattered meadows, and some water nearby. I would try to scout 3-4 times throughout the summer. Is this a viable strategy? Am I missing something here? I’d love to end up with an elk to fill the freezer but ultimately I’d be happy having just seen elk while hunting. Also, is there any merit to using e-bikes to get to/ close to a secluded campsite?

Thank you for any responses.
I know it is not the norm, but for what it is worth, if anything: We did not get tag from WY or ID. So grabbed OTC, headed to CO. Picked a spot via e-scouting. Arrived in the dark, set up camp bout 930pm. Got up, ate, headed up hill (we camped where we parked truck). Had dead 5x5 (he was working on 6th point). in 45 minutes after leaving camp. It was 600 yards from truck as crow flies, probably 8/10 mile walking due to avoiding steep inclines. Saw elk all 5 days. We shot a cow later. Likely anomaly, but something to think about

Hnthrdr

WKR
I know it is not the norm, but for what it is worth, if anything: We did not get tag from WY or ID. So grabbed OTC, headed to CO. Picked a spot via e-scouting. Arrived in the dark, set up camp bout 930pm. Got up, ate, headed up hill (we camped where we parked truck). Had dead 5x5 (he was working on 6th point). in 45 minutes after leaving camp. It was 600 yards from truck as crow flies, probably 8/10 mile walking due to avoiding steep inclines. Saw elk all 5 days. We shot a cow later. Likely anomaly, but something to think about
You are the elkmaster so this probably isn’t the norm for non elkmasters

Username to post content ratio checks out. LOL

This is entirely subjective to the outfitter and the style of business they operate. I get that some outfitters get a bad reputation with this, but don’t pigeon hole all of us in the same group.

We don’t offer any guided hunts, only drop camps, and drop trips. We have two permanent drop camps, or a hunter can request to have a camp set in their area of choosing. We get those guys as close as we can without putting them on top of other known camps or hunters. We also drop guys in similar spots all season. Some hunters do better than others. Typically that has more to do with the individual groups and not the area.

If you’re going with an outfitter. Do lots of research. Outfitters that have openings have them for a reason. I would advise someone that’s wanting to go deep solo to pay for an outfitter to take you. Especially if you’re set on a specific area from doing your own research and wanting to go several miles in. Solely for the reason of being able to get meat back out. When hunting season rolls around our paying trips get preference for meat packing. Meaning if you are paying us to take you in and out, you will have the animals you need to get that done adequately. For the guys that backpack in and then call us to pack an elk out. We may or may not be able to, too many variables to guarantee a solo hunter a packout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How can I contact you(outfitter of dropcamp?)
You are the elkmaster so this probably isn’t the norm for non elkmasters
Ha, far from that, just a pun on the name. But point is if you find the right area, don't need to be too far