CO GMU 74 3rd Rifle Season

pokorn28

FNG
New to Rokslide and I've done some searching about unit 74 in Colorado, but can't find any information really. Hoping that you guys can help out a new guy a little bit. My father-in-law and I will be hunting GMU 74 during the 3rd rifle season, hoping to bag ourselves a couple of bucks. He took a good buck out of there (2 or 3 years ago) and we finally got our schedules matched up where we could make a hunt together.

I'm not asking anyone to give up their favorite honey holes (or to send me to the gar hole either), but just looking for some general information on unit 74. We went up labor day weekend to do some scouting and to set some camera's (hope they are still there when we leave next week) where we think some deer might be moving. We spent a lot of time in the Decker Tract, Perins Peak and Cherry Creek Access area based on the idea that by the 3rd rifle season deer would be moving down into those areas. We did a little bit of driving up to Purgatory, where we saw a couple of nice bucks, but all in all we only saw maybe a dozen or so deer during our treck. I'm sure they were all up much higher than we were, which is why we didn't see them.

So to get down to it, for those that have hunted GMU 74 this year so far, how have things fared for you? Did you guys see deer, did you take any good deer? Looking at the weather online, it seems to still be a bit warm, so have you guys noticed any of the deer moving lower yet (toward the Decker Tract, Perins Peak, Cherry Creek Access areas) or are they still up high right now? I don't know much about the Lower Hermosa road, but looking at the migration maps it seems to be a funneling area for the deer.

Again, any help would be appreciated and hopefully I will get to follow up to this post with a successful hunt with some pictures.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hunt does in secure areas and the big bucks will be nearby by third season. And if your partner has already killed a good buck there, don't overlook that place.