CO Fall Bear

Ggarrett

FNG
Plan to embark on my first bear hunt this September in CO. What are some tips to help me find some bears? I know they will be wherever the food is which from what I've read I'm mostly expecting them to be in berries and acorns. Are there certain elevations/areas where these foods will be most prominent? Unless I find some information that suggest I shouldn't I plan to be in the south west/central area, as it is an area I am somewhat familiar with. I haven't been able to find much information on fall bear in CO, I assume due to most being concerned with deer and elk. This will be my first western hunt so my knowledge is pretty much at none other than what I can gather from podcast and such, appreciate any and all information given.

dtrkyman

WKR
There are a ton of bears in Southern CO. I am considering hunting them during fall archery due to not drawing any tags.

Definitely on acorns and where I have been water is going to be key as well.

Tons of oak brush, just have to find a patch with acorns, it seems to be all over between 7-9k elevation wise.

OP
G

Ggarrett

FNG
There are a ton of bears in Southern CO. I am considering hunting them during fall archery due to not drawing any tags.

Definitely on acorns and where I have been water is going to be key as well.

Tons of oak brush, just have to find a patch with acorns, it seems to be all over between 7-9k elevation wise.
Have you hunted them with a bow before? That’s what I plan to take as of now, I am considering rifle but I know if I kill something with a rifle I will just wish I had done it with my bow.

Water or carcass. is probably the highest probability with a bow. They are in the oaks, and choke cherries, the issue is it's so thick it's almost impossible to get close to them with a bow as it so thick, as in, you can't shoot three feet. Rifles, just set up on the opposite slope.

They're actually kind of funny to watch as even a big bear will climb the cherry trees and his weight will bend, or snap the top half off, and then the feast begins. 20 minutes later, the ritual begins once again.

WKR
Consider calling the local biologist. Typically they are helpful with local info. For archery, I'd plan on sitting an active water hole. Good luck.

dtrkyman

WKR
I watched a sow, beautiful cinnamon from a ways off with the 15s. She was on top on an oak bush shoveling acorns down her gullet, her cub was below her playing clean up!

My only shot opportunities were over a spring, sow and cub and a year old boar about the size of a lab!

Has a large boar on trail cam in a nasty canyon, tried hunting it but the wind was blowing everywhere in there, probably part of the reason he’s in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk