CO Bear Check in

Poser

WKR
So, this has been discussed extensively and last year I went to the trouble of packing a absurdly heavy, soak and wet bear hide out so CPW could measure it during check in.

My hunting partner was at the CPW office in Durango today and a guy showed up to check in a bear with just the head and proof of sex attached to some flesh. *No hide*. My partner asked for clarification from the CPW officer and he (the officer) stated that so long as you have the head and proof of sex, you’re good. This seems to contradict everything else I’ve read about this process, but if I don’t have to pack a heavy hide out, I’m that much more inspired to bear hunt.

sndmn11

WKR
So, this has been discussed extensively and last year I went to the trouble of packing a absurdly heavy, soak and wet bear hide out so CPW could measure it during check in.

My hunting partner was at the CPW office in Durango today and a guy showed up to check in a bear with just the head and proof of sex attached to some flesh. *No hide*. My partner asked for clarification from the CPW officer and he (the officer) stated that so long as you have the head and proof of sex, you’re good. This seems to contradict everything else I’ve read about this process, but if I don’t have to pack a heavy hide out, I’m that much more inspired to bear hunt.
I am sure I participated in the past discussions.

The four CPW officers who work the units I hunt have all told me repeatedly that they only need an index card sized piece of the hide to satisfy their hide requirements, and the head. EOS goes on the majority quarter just like any other big game animal. The biggest difference is that the scrotum or udder does not qualify as EOS with a bear.