Clothing help for Sept Elk hunt in CO.

Hey guys, I’m looking for some input on picking the right clothing for a 2nd/3rd week of September elk hunt in Colorado, at around 10,000 feet. I’m not new to backpacking or hunting in the 20-70 degree temps I hear can be expected, but I’m struggling to choose a lightweight system that will be sufficient. I don’t want to lug a ton of stuff I don’t need, but I don’t want to freeze for a week to have a 1lb lighter pack either. I’m not loyal to KUIU, but have been satisfied with the things I’ve purchased from them so far, and they seem to be the front runner in the lightweight hunting market.

Bottoms: merino base layer + KUIU attack pants. Pretty set on this, not really worried about it.
Tops: 1/4 zip merino base (looking at lightweight smart wool). I have a north face soft shell 1/4 zip that is lightweight at 14 oz, and a 12 oz down vest from them.

The north face jacket and vest are plenty warm when hiking from 40 degrees +, and I wear an under armor base layer under the jacket when still hunting down to 40 degrees without the vest. I’m not too big on the under armor base layer for a backpacking trip as it smells bad as soon as you break a sweat, but I’m not sure if the merino will be as warm.

It seems like most guys are using another jacket on top of the base layer + 1/4 zip, and not many are using vests. I’m sure it depends on the hunting style, we will be setting up a spike camp which means hiking to the glassing spot in the morning, but I don’t know if it will be 25 or 40 degrees when we get there.

I’m debating between the KUIU Kenai or Super Down jackets, everybody seems to love the Kenai except for the lack of wind proofing. I don’t expect to be hiking in it so I’m leaning towards the down, but I hate the humid/overheated feeling as much as feeling the wind chill. That’s why I prefer the down vest, but I’m not sure it will be enough.

I also ordered an Ultra NX rain jacket as foul weather seems sporadic that time of year and it saves 12 oz over my Orvis rain jacket. I’m wondering if I really need rain pants assuming I have water resistant pants + gaiters, and would hunker down during quick thunderstorms. 70 degrees with damp pants for an hour is no big deal, but 40 degrees could be. We just had a week of 35 degree rain here and it sucked, but it wasn’t a downpour.

Finally, I’m not sure what I need for gloves. I have a pair of north face soft shell/fleece hybrids that are plenty warm when hiking down to 40 degrees. I was planning on adding some smart wool liner also. I’ve also got some heavy duty Cabela’s snowmobiling/trapping gloves, but am not sure they are worth the weight and space for glassing.

Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Felix40

WKR
Colorado is a varied state so its hard to know what you will get for weather. I can tell you what Ive seen in the s western portion of the state that I hunt. These are my experiences.

1. Its likely to be 30 around degrees when you start glassing above treeline in the morning. It may get as high as the 70s during the day.
2. Its likely to be pretty dang windy if you are on top of a ridge somewhere.
3. Its likely to rain every day and possibly snow. I wouldnt leave my rain pants at home because I dont like to waste time sitting in a tent.
4. The kenai is not super warm but may be enough with a vest under. I like the first lite uncompadgre for an outer layer and would probably leave the soft shell at home. I like wool->vest->puffy->rain jacket as my only layers.
5. Ive brought heavy duty gloves before but now prefer a lighter insulated glove.

Jardo

WKR
My rain pants are used more for hiking through wet grass and brush. I consider them one of the more important items in my pack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2blade

WKR
I agree with Felix40, wool->vest->puffy->rain jacket or wool->hybrid jacket->puffy->rain jacket and always bring rain pants.

Specifically:

kuiu attack pants or kryptek - usually have merino base as well
190 gsm 1/4 zip merino t
Sitka jetstream vest or Cabelas Octane Hybrid jacket-hybrid jacket is one of my favs
Uncomparghre jacket with a hood - the hood makes a huge difference in heat retention if you need it
Kuiu Ultra NX packable rain gear, top and bottom - never leave home without it
Usually the traverse glove