classified sections- post your location on big dollar items

I have been looking for a higher end spotting scope for a while. With the the uptick (not just here but across most of these forums) of scammers, I am a bit apprehensive to send a stranger a fairly large sum of money. My request is that if you are selling higher priced items, also provide your location so for those of use that are more inclined to do face-to-face transactions do not have to ask most every seller. I realize that one can provide location with your user name, many do not, for what ever reason.

jmillr1

WKR
I have been looking for a higher end spotting scope for a while. With the the uptick (not just here but across most of these forums) of scammers, I am a bit apprehensive to send a stranger a fairly large sum of money. My request is that if you are selling higher priced items, also provide your location so for those of use that are more inclined to do face-to-face transactions do not have to ask most every seller. I realize that one can provide location with your user name, many do not, for what ever reason.
just pay for the paypal protection?

wildcat33

WKR
Why should the buyer have to pay the PP fee for protection? Seller has the money and the item. The buyer takes all the risk and then has to pay extra for it. Unpopular opinion around here I’m sure.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Why should the buyer have to pay the PP fee for protection? Seller has the money and the item. The buyer takes all the risk and then has to pay extra for it. Unpopular opinion around here I’m sure.
It’s all a negotiation. I think sellers earn the right to ask for FF. I see “newbies” asking for FF and that’s immediately a turn off for me.

As a buyer, I am willing to pay the 3% fee for the piece of mind in knowing that if I get scammed, I can get my money back, I simply consider it as a part of the cost of the item. So in short, paying the fee is a way to reduce the risk of purchasing from people we don't know. I also film the package as I received it, and myself opening it, so that, if they send me a brick, I have proof that they did not ship the item purchased.

Unfortunately in todays day and age, we need to take precautions and protect ourselves. Sellers need to do the same.

jmillr1

WKR
So should the seller pay it? That makes no sense. If YOU get scammed or something happens you get the money back from Paypal. Its insurance against scams and shitty people. If you don't want to pay the 3 percent you certainly don't have to but I request any transaction I do where I'm the seller that the buyer pays the protection fee for their own piece of mind.

wildcat33

WKR
So should the seller pay it? That makes no sense. If YOU get scammed or something happens you get the money back from Paypal. Its insurance against scams and shitty people. If you don't want to pay the 3 percent you certainly don't have to but I request any transaction I do where I'm the seller that the buyer pays the protection fee for their own piece of mind.
It’s a negotiation as Ucs said well above. All I’m saying is that 100% of risk, trust and responsibility for due diligence is carried by the buyer. For a large ticket item seller covering insurance is somewhat more equitable. Seller loses nothing if the buyer is a shitty person they have the money and the goods.

Last edited:

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I understand the hesitancy on buying big ticket items. But I also feel it as the seller - I have a pair of Alpha binos I want to sell and I’m reluctant to do so because of the hassle and fear of somehow getting scammed or left arguing with PayPal. There are some (albeit different) risks to the seller - including for a fraudulent claim that an item wasn’t received. Even if FF is used, the buyer can drag your name through the mud, or do a bank chargeback. And I’m not even 100% comfortable as seller with G&S until the item is delivered, because what if the item is lost in transit? I therefore push a buyer to get insurance, otherwise I think it has to be decided who bears that risk after the item is shipped (which I balk at sending in a message - “I’m good with the price we just agreed upon. Just understand if the item doesn’t get delivered, that’s on you” - it doesn’t set a great tone). These items add up, which impact the deal for both sides.

As for the seller covering insurance being more equitable in a big ticket (or any) item - I personally don’t get that. Why should I pay 3% because a buyer thinks I’m a risk? I guess I’m happy to do so, but just divide my list price by 0.97. Buyers can choose to do due diligence on the seller and pay $x, or otherwise pay $x+.

IMHO

jmillr1

WKR
I understand the hesitancy on buying big ticket items. But I also feel it as the seller - I have a pair of Alpha binos I want to sell and I’m reluctant to do so because of the hassle and fear of somehow getting scammed or left arguing with PayPal. There are some (albeit different) risks to the seller - including for a fraudulent claim that an item wasn’t received. Even if FF is used, the buyer can drag your name through the mud, or do a bank chargeback. And I’m not even 100% comfortable as seller with G&S until the item is delivered, because what if the item is lost in transit? I therefore push a buyer to get insurance, otherwise I think it has to be decided who bears that risk after the item is shipped (which I balk at sending in a message - “I’m good with the price we just agreed upon. Just understand if the item doesn’t get delivered, that’s on you” - it doesn’t set a great tone). These items add up, which impact the deal for both sides.

As for the seller covering insurance being more equitable in a big ticket (or any) item - I personally don’t get that. Why should I pay 3% because a buyer thinks I’m a risk? I guess I’m happy to do so, but just divide my list price by 0.97. Buyers can choose to do due diligence on the seller and pay $x, or otherwise pay $x+.

IMHO
Or to go off the end of your statement, the buyer can simply purchase from someone else.

Completely agree with your statement. 100 percent

H

Huntkook

You ought to look at Predator Optics and give him a call. The man is up front and you'll get a really good deal.

I have bought and sold a ton on here, and never been scammed. I don't get that fear?? With basic observation and a smidge of street smarts, you can easily identify the scammers. It's hard at all. I have bought and sold, high dollar items here, over $4000, and never worried about a scam, because if i saw a red flag of any kind, I simply moved on. I prefer a phone conversation or two, after initial contact. I can verify a ton of stuff in talking with someone.
I agree, a person's location is always helpful, as is their join date, what they posted on in other forums too. I have zero concern being scammed, as I am not desperate to buy or sell anything.