Classified Question

deezs

FNG
Very new user here, and I apologize if this question has been asked and answered before, but how does a person buy from the classifieds here and not get scammed? I am new on here and actually have never bought anything on ebay, facebook market place, etc. Just looking to protect myself.

• Check the seller's profile for positive transaction feedback and a history of quality/substantive posts to indicate that he/she is a member of good standing
  • Use a payment method that offers buyer protection and understand what the protection policy does/doesn't cover (guns/ammo are typically not covered)
  • Be extra cautious of responses to a WTB ad, those tend to attract scammers
Read this thread for more scam avoidance strategies: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scam-alert-everyone-on-this-forum-should-read-and-heed.256250/

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I agree with the above, but as a new member you may run into some of the same issues even as a buyer. I’m extremely reluctant to sell to a new member without many responses or feedback - especially if you want to use buyer protection (via PP or otherwise). Everyone should be on alert for scammers - buyers and sellers.

OP
D

deezs

FNG
  • Check the seller's profile for positive transaction feedback and a history of quality/substantive posts to indicate that he/she is a member of good standing
  • Use a payment method that offers buyer protection and understand what the protection policy does/doesn't cover (guns/ammo are typically not covered)
  • Be extra cautious of responses to a WTB ad, those tend to attract scammers
Read this thread for more scam avoidance strategies: https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/scam-alert-everyone-on-this-forum-should-read-and-heed.256250/
I read through the link, and i don't know if i would ever be comfortable enough to pull the trigger on buying something from the classifieds. A few bad apples ruin wreck a great venue for buyers and sellers

Rich M

WKR
I agree with the above, but as a new member you may run into some of the same issues even as a buyer. I’m extremely reluctant to sell to a new member without many responses or feedback - especially if you want to use buyer protection (via PP or otherwise). Everyone should be on alert for scammers - buyers and sellers.
What he’s saying is that he doesnt like to make transactions that have buyer protection incorporated into them. Does that give you warm fuzzies?

You’ll find most folks who sell stuff here and there are very honest and upright.

The ones trying to make a business out of it are questionable cause they want unprotected transaction, uninsurred shipping, and will bitch and moan if something goes wrong during shipping - johnny buyer is screwing me! LoL! There is a long thread on this somewhere.

Save yourself the headache and buy from a once or twice seller or buy new and over the counter from a reputable business. The business will be infitely easier to deal w if something goes wrong.

I read through the link, and i don't know if i would ever be comfortable enough to pull the trigger on buying something from the classifieds. A few bad apples ruin wreck a great venue for buyers and sellers
Totally your call. I've bought and sold here dozens of times with only 1 not-so-great experience. Hang around long enough and you'll get to "know" (insofar as that's possible through an Internet forum) plenty of trustworthy folks.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
What he’s saying is that he doesnt like to make transactions that have buyer protection incorporated into them. Does that give you warm fuzzies?
No, that’s not what I said. You want G&S and you’re new without many posts or feedback? Pass. You been on here a while and you want G&S? All good. But feedback and time on here should count for something. Buyers can, and do, scam sellers.
You’ll find most folks who sell stuff here and there are very honest and upright.

The ones trying to make a business out of it are questionable cause they want unprotected transaction, uninsurred shipping, and will bitch and moan if something goes wrong during shipping - johnny buyer is screwing me! LoL! There is a long thread on this somewhere.
Hopefully the above is a general precaution, and not meant to be a response to my post. Or me.
Save yourself the headache and buy from a once or twice seller or buy new and over the counter from a reputable business. The business will be infitely easier to deal w if something goes wrong.
Good advice.

I kinda think it's less about buyer protection and more about mutual protection.

Ultimately the only way for neither party to get screwed over is to not participate. Likely would make things a lot easier around here, the mods spend a fair amount of time on classifieds.

I completely understand not wanting to sell to someone without feedback, or little activity, especially with a high dollar item. F&F make it easier for a seller, but as a buyer I'd be pretty hesitant.

If you have reservations about the deal, just don't do it, otherwise proceed with caution.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
No, that’s not what I said. You want G&S and you’re new without many posts or feedback? Pass. You been on here a while and you want G&S? All good. But feedback and time on here should count for something. Buyers can, and do, scam sellers.

Hopefully the above is a general precaution, and not meant to be a response to my post. Or me.

Good advice.

I've wondered before have I finally clicked the wrong chamber in paypal roulette. All it takes is a buyer saying they didnt get the package and while you may win it creates alot of unessecary headache.

Rich M

WKR

Good advice.
You are correct - I wasn't targeting you, was hoping it wouldn't be taken that way. Thanks.

I rarely do anything with the classifieds, but not worried about scams - folks have been real good up to about $600-$800 items that I've bought & sold. It is just the stigma of buying used.

I've been contacted by guys on here with questions about buying something I've mentioned online as much as I've advertised stuff.