cimarron stove pipe length

sr80

WKR
what length stove pipes are you guy using in the cimarron? Im also thinking the 18" lite outdoors is a good choice for the stove? thoughts?

I am using an 8' pipe from Titanium Goat.

It looks ridiculous being that tall, but I like the added insurance it provides. The added separation allows remaining embers to either be carried away, or time to cool before falling back on to the tent. Along with the 8' of pipe, I'm also using a spark arrestor. I feel my paranoia of burning a hole in the tent justified due to the cost of replacement.

ljalberta

WKR
Have you had any encounters with severe wind using the 8' pipe? I'm curious if it would be a hazard at that point, or if it handles the wind without much problem?

LBFowler

WKR
I'd be far more worried about wind on a few extra feet of pipe then I am about sparks. spark holes are easy to patch, and I'm still not convinced an extra foot or two makes a huge difference on sparks.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You only need 6-6.5ft. of stove pipe for the Cimarron. IMO, the SO stoves are fantastic and work better than the Ti Goat stoves I've used.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
I use a 7ft pipe with my 18" Lite Outdoors stove and it works well. Like mentioned above, you only need 6-6.5ft, but I went a little longer to help with sparks. No holes in the tent so far.

Have you had any encounters with severe wind using the 8' pipe? I'm curious if it would be a hazard at that point, or if it handles the wind without much problem?

~40mph is the most I've had to deal with and it wasn't a problem. It does take a bit more to get set up than a 6'er. More cable rings to slip on, and you have to hold your mouth right to get it fed through the stove boot with that much extra pipe fumbling around.

Still, for only a 3-4 oz weight penalty over a 6 footer, and a mild inconvenience factor, I will stick with it.

I understand that using 8' is being a bit overprotective, and wouldn't fault anyone for using a 6'er, as that is likely a better fit both functionally and aesthetically. In this case though my stubbornness and lack of desire to put any unnecessary pinholes in an 400 dollar tent win out over both.

Last edited:

Felix40

WKR
Are you talking the redcliff or the cimmaron? I only ask because the cimmaron is closer to $400. I am about to order materials for a stove pipe for my redcliff and I think 8' is recommended for that.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
the 6.5 ft. recommendation is for the Cimarron. You'll want more for the Redcliff. You can check my website (Argali Outdoors) (full disclosure, we sell SO products) for stove pipe length recommendations for SO tents.

Are you talking the redcliff or the cimmaron? I only ask because the cimmaron is closer to $400. I am about to order materials for a stove pipe for my redcliff and I think 8' is recommended for that.

Cimmaron; and yes your right the tent alone is likely closer to 400. I paid 466 for mine when they were first released. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. Don't want to be misleading. Prior post edited.

Derek0525

WKR
I had a 5ft pipe for my Cimarron but upgraded to a 7ft just to get it a little farther a way i think the light outdoors stove sits lower than the seek outside stove so you may want to go atleast 6ft. Seekoutside recomends a 6ft with the Cimarron atleast when i asked.

OP
sr80

sr80

WKR
ya the lite outdoors will sit at about 12 inches, and then i figure a 6 ft pipe should be adequate.