Chugach hunt done

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Had the opportunity to hunt the Chugach range last week - put down a heavy, 9 yo billy with nearly 10 inch horns at 350 yards (65 prc with Berger 140 vlds: shot behind shoulder dropped him dead in place). Thought I would share some pics and a few takeaways on equipment. Ben Stevenson was the outfitter and Marcel Powell the guide: cannot say enough positive things about these guys. Area has a ton of animals - we saw probably 30 goats while glassing first evening and 7 black bears including at least one big bruiser. These guys know their stuff and put the work in to make a hunter successful.

Landscapes rugged and just breathtaking.

20221006_141945.jpg

20221006_141843.jpg

20221006_142930.jpg

20221006_144830.jpg

20221007_104052.jpg

And of course, the goat.

20221007_125707(0).jpg20221007_140404.jpg

Gear I was happiest with was from Stone Glacier: gaiters, pants, pack, merino wool hoodie, puffy, sleeping bag, etc, all performed. Used 10" insulated Scarpas - opted for synthetic boots since I thought they might be better in soaking conditions compared to leather. Would have liked marginally more ankle support on fully loaded pack with meat, hide, etc, but overall performed great and would recommend for these wet conditions.

[edit: absolutely do not rely on breathable rain gear. Kryptek failed on day one after soaking, crawling, dragging my way toward goat. Rubberized gear an absolute must. If hunting out of a base camp, I would bring backup for this region as well. I wound up fairly hypothermic, had trouble using my digits, etc after the goat was down.]

I generally consider myself to be in good shape but the pack out was where I really got taught a lesson about how hard this kind of mountain hunt can be and what level of training is required. I had been doing off trail hiking in the mountains near our home, but, unfortunately I had covid over labor day and spent the rest of the month lounging around trying to recover. Not ideal, had to rely on the guide to get my share back successfully.

When I got home, I found rust all over my bipod - trying to sort that out but frustrating to see that. Disassembled rifle to dry it out, no major issues there.

Lastly, absolutely should have gotten a bear tag. They were thick as fleas.

Attachments

• 20221007_130136.jpg
    20221007_130136.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Awesome! Chugach goat hunts are my favorite. Ben flew me around for my first Chugach hunt awhile back. Great guy. Congrats!

Amazing photos! I would have packed this thing out for you just for the sake of walking this heavenly stretch of land... Congratulations!

Congratulations, and like what’s already been said, those are some beautiful pictures! It’s pretty hard to beat the Chugach when it comes to great photo opportunities, there seems to be one for a magazine everywhere you look. That’s a great goat as well, and I hope you share some photos of the mount when you get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Grisha

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations, and like what’s already been said, those are some beautiful pictures! It’s pretty hard to beat the Chugach when it comes to great photo opportunities, there seems to be one for a magazine everywhere you look. That’s a great goat as well, and I hope you share some photos of the mount when you get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't wait to be back. Definitely for black bear as well.

z987k

WKR
I tell people that DWR is for walking from you car to a building. Not outdoors. I've never seen it last more than a few hours in rain.

MtnW

Lil-Rokslider
Great Goat!
Congratulations on a-hard earned trophy . Nice photos.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Nice goat!

Don't agree with you on the rain gear thing. Used to think like that. Worn a lot of Helly Hanson impertech up the hills in SE AK where it rains a lot more than most of the state. One reason it never worked well for me is I'd sweat and it would run down into my boots. I'm talking completely soaked boots after a day or two. Once I switched back to quality breathable rain gear magically the issue went away. Currently I'm using Swazi and like it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

did a hike in Sheep hunt in October of 2022 for Sheep into the Chugach's - we were in over 15 miles on foot. Great hunt and we were lucky it was pretty dry but I am going to replace my Kuiu Chugach Rain Gear with some Grunden or Helly Hansen before I do that again. Chugach's are beautiful and rugged. Sounds like an awesome trip, congratulations on that! Great looking goat!