Chronic pain

I'm over 70. I know dead- just not buried yet. Often when I wake up or even during the night I hurt like hell. It seems to be focused in the tendons of the upper arms. Sometimes I wake up with the feeling that a nail is being pounded through my hand.

I suffer from chronic kidney disease brought on by nsaid use over years of prescriptions. I'm open to any suggestions you might have.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear of your pain.
And I can relate. In a huge way.
I too suffer a great deal with brain tumors amongst many of my other aches and pains I've brought on with my sports, my occupation and recreational activities .
you have to be your own advocate, push and ask the professionals for more help. Proper meds, diet, excersize.
push yourself to be the best you can be, do what brings you happiness ..... And always remember, we are fortunate to have what we have and have had, and, there's always lots out there facing far more challenges then our own.

best of luck to you. I hope you find relief.

92xj

WKR
Chaga.
it has done wonders for me so far. Could be a mental thing, but once I added it to my coffee and random evening teas, neck and back pain have disappeared.

hiker270

WKR
Exercise, even us senior citizens benefit greatly. I'm not talking about joining a gym and pounding heavy weights or taking up running to do a marathon. Simple stretching yoga type exercise in the morning, some light lifting with weights at home and a simple walk. Start slow work your way up. Not only will your body react positively but mentally the benefits will make a positive change in your life.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I've got three herniated discs in my neck and need a 4-level fusion, but I keep putting it off as long as I can. I also have a herniated disc right in the middle of my back, and another couple in the lower lumbar. So pain is pretty much 24/7. I'll tell you what though, they make it so dang hard to get pain meds these days that it's easier to get them on the streets. It's all laced with Fentanyl, but it's ridiculous that it's easier to get it on the streets than from a Doctor. SMH

Broomd

WKR
Pinched nerve in the neck, get a MRI
Suspect that I've been dealing with one since Oct 13th or so....real pita. Right shoulder and neck numbness and tingling for 12 weeks when I crank my head around. Happened after I cut and loaded our Winter wood--some heavy rounds too.

I thought I could beat this thing with chiro, Ibuprofen (saw a doc and he suggested), etc, but nope, still kicking my ass. X-ray showed minor C6-7 arthritis but not too bad.
Will see the PT, and then proceed with an MRI. Tired of this.

OP, feel for you! My situation isn't terribly painful in comparison, at least yet, but it's damned irritating.

OP
P
Broomd: my father was a chiropractor which saved me from myself and horsewrecks over the years. They aren't all the same and vary widely in techniques depending on where they went to school. He had some special techniques that really worked but found no interest from the other chiros when he tried to share.

I had a similar pain all summer but was working 7 days a week remotely and had to live with it. My son moved back this fall and with what I could show him, he is starting to get it to stay in. The pain was coming from the upper thoracic vertabrae. It was being caused by a pelvic rotation.

Try a differant chiro and hope. I went to two of the locals and got no relief. Now my hip has been out long enough that it is hard to get it to stay. Lot's of luck.

I read a random article the other day that said coQ10 could counter the random muscle pains caused by taking statins. At our age it seems that much of our misery is caused by prescriptions that our doctors give us to extend our lives.

rodney747

WKR
Hate to hear that. Have you tried any other prescription relaxers?
For me personally any otc or script relaxer or nsaid I've used does it to me. Granted each person is different and being used only occasionally in the past they were very effective with minimum side effects. My problems with his particular side effect started about a year ago. Have an annual physical with prostate screening but plan on visiting a Urologist in early January.

Ya, I've got three herniated discs in my neck and need a 4-level fusion, but I keep putting it off as long as I can. I also have a herniated disc right in the middle of my back, and another couple in the lower lumbar. So pain is pretty much 24/7. I'll tell you what though, they make it so dang hard to get pain meds these days that it's easier to get them on the streets. It's all laced with Fentanyl, but it's ridiculous that it's easier to get it on the streets than from a Doctor. SMH

radiofrequency ablation might work for you. It's helped me significantly with my lower back but depending how quickly the nerves grow back might be a once in 6 month process. Simply cuts off the pain you feel, doesn't solve whatever problem you have but improves quality of life. It's an out patient procedure. I'll have to have back surgery eventually but this keeps the surgery in the distance. I don't take any pain meds for reference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
radiofrequency ablation might work for you.
I just had a steroid shot in lumbar a few weeks ago......that didn't help at all. In fact, it just riled up all the pains at once in that area.......sciatic nerve, starts right above the top of the right glute and radiates down and then wraps around my right quad to just above my knee. Then pain in the hip joint that radiates around the front down to the groin and also lower right abdomen......constant.

This actually brought me home from elk hunting one day when I was a mile from camp and something caught and dropped me like a sack of potatoes. I laid there unable to move for several minutes then finally was able to get to me feet and then limp out. When that catches (whatever "that" is) it completely knocks the wind out of me as well. Then when I do try to walk it's like having a bundle of nerves in the hip joint being compressed with every step. And that lower right side above the glute.......I'd love to ram a screwdriver into that spot.......or a running drill bit. That pain drives me crazy 24/7.

I just had a steroid shot in lumbar a few weeks ago......that didn't help at all. In fact, it just riled up all the pains at once in that area.......sciatic nerve, starts right above the top of the right glute and radiates down and then wraps around my right quad to just above my knee. Then pain in the hip joint that radiates around the front down to the groin and also lower right abdomen......constant.

This actually brought me home from elk hunting one day when I was a mile from camp and something caught and dropped me like a sack of potatoes. I laid there unable to move for several minutes then finally was able to get to me feet and then limp out. When that catches (whatever "that" is) it completely knocks the wind out of me as well. Then when I do try to walk it's like having a bundle of nerves in the hip joint being compressed with every step. And that lower right side above the glute.......I'd love to ram a screwdriver into that spot.......or a running drill bit. That pain drives me crazy 24/7.
Tracking, was it a cortisone shot? I had those for years, 6x bi lateral injections L3-L5. Dr would miss occasionally and my legs would go numb for a couple weeks. Those stopped working, why I moved up to the

Something else that really helps me is stretching and yoga once a morning. I also try and limit foods that cause inflammation. Little things add up sometimes.

Dexter

FNG
Chaga.
it has done wonders for me so far. Could be a mental thing, but once I added it to my coffee and random evening teas, neck and back pain have disappeared.
What are you taking? Would love some relief!

Dexter

FNG
Suspect that I've been dealing with one since Oct 13th or so....real pita. Right shoulder and neck numbness and tingling for 12 weeks when I crank my head around. Happened after I cut and loaded our Winter wood--some heavy rounds too.

I thought I could beat this thing with chiro, Ibuprofen (saw a doc and he suggested), etc, but nope, still kicking my ass. X-ray showed minor C6-7 arthritis but not too bad.
Will see the PT, and then proceed with an MRI. Tired of this.

OP, feel for you! My situation isn't terribly painful in comparison, at least yet, but it's damned irritating.
I’ve had 3 neck surgeries, 5 bad discs from a accident. I still go numb, tingling when I turn my head and pain 24/7. Havnt found anything that works well for the pain

rodney747

WKR
Hate to hear that. Have you tried any other prescription relaxers?
Saw the urologist and diagnosed with prostatitis. Hence the trouble urinating with any pain reliever. Going through 30 days of 500mg Ciprofloxacin twice daily for the infection and 500mg Naproxen twice daily. About 15 days in and feeling some relief, even sleeping up to 4-5 hours a night vs 2-3. Dr. claims pain meds will help my arthritis as it has and won't have the urination side effects after prostate infection is cured. Sure hoping!

92xj

WKR
What are you taking? Would love some relief!
I buy the canadian wilderness sourced chunks and powered off amazon. I also bought a pile of empty teabags for the powder. I put a teabag with one serving size, in the bag, in my coffee pot.

I then have a tea kettle on the stove and throw in a few chunks and let steep for evening teas. I change out the chunks when the water gets clear after a few days.

I feel weird saying how well it has worked for my back and neck pain. three days after starting, I was pain free and continue to be. It is so odd.

My pain was a side effect from medicine after open heart surgery. My cholesterol is and has always been great but the doc wants it as low as possible, so he put me on some meds with a side affect of muscle pain. Maybe God is just helping me out with this natural remedy.

Have you been tested for gout? I assume yes but thinking of something not suggested and something I've seen linked to chronic kidney disease. It can present with symptoms you mention. Untreated can cause worsening pain. You shouldn't have to live with that pain. I hope you get it figured out and get back to enjoying every day to its fullest!