Chetco unit Oregon blacktail

Totman88

FNG
Heading down to Chetco unit the last week of the season. Our plan is to backpack in for 5days.

We are looking at areas in the kalmiopsis wilderness.

Does any one have any info on this unit or area

Are the any specifics things we should focus on in this area?

Thanks in advance for any info.

OP
T

Totman88

FNG
Went great! The country is super rough where we were at. We found a spot that held a lot of deer. Saw bucks every day, I missed the biggest blacktail I have ever seen. Never saw him again.
Ended up we shot 2 forky on the last day.

Most people road hunted but we stayed put where we found deer.

SamG

FNG
@Totman88 Hey did you guys see any bear when you were in there? I'm trying to plan a spring bear hunt and just want to get a feel for the land. If you'd be willing to share some tips through PM that would be awesome!

Thanks man!

La43!

FNG
Went great! The country is super rough where we were at. We found a spot that held a lot of deer. Saw bucks every day, I missed the biggest blacktail I have ever seen. Never saw him again.
Ended up we shot 2 forky on the last day.

Most people road hunted but we stayed put where we found

La43!

FNG
Did you end up hunting the wilderness in the burn area? I’ve been looking at hunting that area for the last few years and I believe I’m going to be able to make it happen this year. I’m also going to be scouting for Elk also I’ve got enough points to draw but would like to have an idea of where they like to hang.

I’ve got the same bug. I’m gonna hunt it for elk the next time I can draw the rifle tag. None of the bios I’ve been able to chat with can tell me anything about elk in the burn/middle of the actual wilderness. But I gotta go see that place at some point, and elk hunting seems like a fun way.

La43!

FNG
I’ve got the same bug. I’m gonna hunt it for elk the next time I can draw the rifle tag. None of the bios I’ve been able to chat with can tell me anything about elk in the burn/middle of the actual wilderness. But I gotta go see that place at some point, and elk hunting seems like a fun way.
I talked with one of the biologists for that area and if I not mistaken he said they transplanted Elk into the wilderness area after the fire. He also said that he himself had not been back or looked into seeing how they are doing. Someone has to know how they are doing though. I really think if someone put in the time they could find a good buck and some good bulls in there.

I talked with one of the biologists for that area and if I not mistaken he said they transplanted Elk into the wilderness area after the fire. He also said that he himself had not been back or looked into seeing how they are doing. Someone has to know how they are doing though. I really think if someone put in the time they could find a good buck and some good bulls in there.
Yeah I talked to a couple ODFW people and it sounded like they basically don’t do airplane elk surveys of the wilderness because there are so few elk…they also made it sound like the serpentine soils in the Kalmiopsis don’t support a large amount of high quality forage, making it marginal elk habitat.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04