Chesnimnus/Eagle Caps Archery Elk

Jlorsun

FNG
My buddy and I put in for the Ches with Eagle Caps as a backup for archery this year. We are both in excellent shape and experienced but neither of us have hunted west of the cascades. I don't want specifics on locations on where to hunt but I have a few questions about the areas. Chesnimnus: Do the elk actually feed out into the open faces on the breaks? Where are the high pressure areas I should avoid? and how bad are the roads (do I need a quad or mountain bike?). Eagle Caps: Where do the outfitters set up? (I want to avoid them), How hard is it to find water at high elevation?

I have access to a couple large trained pack mules but I would rather not take them if necessary. Any other tips or information are welcome.

OP
Jlorsun

Jlorsun

FNG
Ha! any day is a good day for a laugh.
To correct myself I grew up hunting the Coast (Tioga, Sixes and Powers), I have hunted the Cascades for almost a decade now (Dixon/Indigo) and have never hunted elk East of the cascades!

92xj

WKR
And for that laugh, I will help...a little bit

Chesnimnus: Do the elk actually feed out into the open faces on the breaks? Yes

Where are the high pressure areas I should avoid? You'll figure that out when hunting or scouting, there are plenty of areas that are high pressure.

and how bad are the roads (do I need a quad or mountain bike?). roads are fine, need a quad, no, would it be nice sometimes, yes. Mountain bike I would leave at home personally.

Eagle Caps: Where do the outfitters set up? No one will really help you on that answer. That's one you work for on your own.

How hard is it to find water at high elevation? For me, it was easy in the areas I have been in. I never once planned or thought of having to hike down to the rivers below for water.

OP
Jlorsun

Jlorsun

FNG
And for that laugh, I will help...a little bit

Chesnimnus: Do the elk actually feed out into the open faces on the breaks? Yes

Where are the high pressure areas I should avoid? You'll figure that out when hunting or scouting, there are plenty of areas that are high pressure.

and how bad are the roads (do I need a quad or mountain bike?). roads are fine, need a quad, no, would it be nice sometimes, yes. Mountain bike I would leave at home personally.

Eagle Caps: Where do the outfitters set up? No one will really help you on that answer. That's one you work for on your own.

How hard is it to find water at high elevation? For me, it was easy in the areas I have been in. I never once planned or thought of having to hike down to the rivers below for water.
Thank you! I plan on going over to put boots on the ground this summer. Probably 3 days in July. The steep breaks in the north end look baron of vegitation on a map but if they hold elk all those contours will eliminate the majority of "Hunters"