Check your water filter before you go

Gerbdog

WKR
Getting ready to go back country to my mule deer location ... where i swore to myself i'd never kill an elk.... because it sucks that bad.... i need to stop swearing im not gonna do something, just makes me a liar.

the point of the thread however: Check your filter on your water filtering system.

Dont know what everyone's favorite system is but i run the platypus gravity filter system .....

and i swear i used the filter i have once... just once... cause my old filter froze and died.... turns out this one was dead too for no reason i can fathom. Glad i found out now before i just assumed it was still good and functioning and got back in the mountains to find out i'd be using iodine tablets.

Always comes back to: "Check your gear!"

BBob

WKR
Those Micro filament filters or whatever they are called dry out and won’t pass water if you just fill it and expect water to come out immediately as usual. If you pre-fill it and let it sit and soak for awhile they come back to normal. Same for the BeFree’s, they’ll do the same.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
Checked battery in my steripen week before my elk hunt. Takes 2 CR123's and had barely been used. Got to camp and it died after FIRST filter. I had ZERO batteries. LOL. Lucky my partner had his.

BBob

WKR
Checked battery in my steripen week before my elk hunt. Takes 2 CR123's and had barely been used. Got to camp and it died after FIRST filter. I had ZERO batteries. LOL. Lucky my partner had his.
Same, my buddy’s batteries died so he swapped in his spares. They were dead too. We used the BeFree all week. His pen is apparently dead so it’ll be the BeFree or tablets for the rest of the season.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Oh a whim I bought some tablets and threw them in my pack before season and wouldn’t you know it my filter failed. That whim saved my hunt. Will never leave home without them now.

BDRam16

WKR
Did you back flush it before putting it away for the season? Might just be clogged up.

Same with me. Had a sawyer mini I literally used once with tap water to make sure it worked and failed in the field first try. thankfully I had a katadyn filter. unfortunately it isn't rigged to go directly to my bladder but instead to a water bottle which I also had luckily.

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Tried the back flush with no results , still not filtering for crap, sall good though, went and killed an elk and borrowed a filter from the lady, will post up a season recap