Chassis Rifle Tikka vs Rem Clone

I know this has been discussed before, but wanted some input from you guys before I pull the trigger on a new set up. Originally I had planned to put my tikka 300 win mag in an XLR chassis and maybe rebarreling to a 7prc or 6.5prc.

After doing some research on Tikka and the aics magazine interface, I’m second guessing and thinking more about just building on a Remington clone. The tikka has to use either the mid length AICS magazine, which has very limited options, or the short which makes no sense IMO if I am using a larger action like the tikka anyway. Even with the correct magazines sounds like they can be a bit finicky. With consideration to the larger magazine, heavier stock and action weight I find myself leaning more and more towards just building out a 700.

Tikka:
Pros:
Reliable?
Cost
Familiarity

Cons:
5+ ounces of added weight in AICs magazines, and heavier stock (over SA rem)
Finicky mags with limited options
Action weight of around 28-30oz

700:
Pros:
Lighter weight action- 20ish ounces
Lighter magazines and parts (magpul, Hawkins chassis mag)
more options for magazines
(Should?) work better with AICS format

Cons:
Price
Possibly less reliable due to piece meal nature

Anyone with experience on both platforms want to chime in?

Last edited:
I have the LA tikka inlet on the XLR chassis. The magazine will fit up to a 3.56” carriage. One would have no issue running the cartridge length they want if using something like a 6.5 prc. I have found the magazine to be reliable and have not had any issues with feeding.

I doubt you will have any issues getting a tikka to shoot well with the 300 wm loaded to mag length. Especially shooting 180gr bullets, which is better suited to the 1:11 twist that sako loves on their 30 cal barrels

Last edited:
OP
Ferrulewax
I have the LA tikka inlet on the XLR chassis. The magazine will fit up to a 3.56” carriage. One would have no issue running the cartridge length they want if using something like a 6.5 prc. I have found the magazine to be reliable and have not had any issues with feeding.
Are you using the XLR magazine? I just hate how heavy it is (5oz), particularly if I’m using a 6.5prc that might not even need a LA mag.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only Issue I can see would be running the 6.5 PRC on a long action. Running short action calibers in a long action can be a little finicky whether you run the Tikka 3.560" long action mags or the Remington 3.850" long action mags but its still possible. If you are running a 7 PRC out of either of those magazines then you wont have any issues.

If you would rather run the 6.5 PRC then I would go with the short action if you are not hand loading or medium/XM/XM+ if you want to seat the bullets out further. Those two lengths are designed for running the 6.5 PRC.

I can tell you that I personally do have a 6.5 PRC on a long action Remington and got it to feed just fine but it did take some tuning. If I was going to do it again I would just build it on a short action for the shorter bolt throw and slightly smoother cycling. I load the 147s at almost factory length so the long action doesn't benefit me.

To sum it all up yes you can run the 6.5 PRC in a long action but you will most likely have to tune magazines and you will have heavier magazines (5rd vs 3rd), a heavier action, and a slightly heavier chassis than a Remington.

I would figure out the bullet you want to shoot and how fast you want to shoot it. Once you figure out the bullet and velocity you can narrow down which cartridges will do it. Then I would see if it’ll work in your action. If it will use it. If not sell it and buy the clone you like.

Are you using the XLR magazine? I just hate how heavy it is (5oz), particularly if I’m using a 6.5prc that might not even need a LA mag.

I am using the MDT 3.56 magazines that I purchased through XLR.

I am not sure what @XLR means by the long action magazines being finicky as I have had zero issues and have not adjusted the lips on mine.

Here is a video of my rifle cycling Hornady Factory ELD-M ammo

Here is a loaded Berger 156 EOL in magazine, 3.01 COAL

f3c759a73bd99ea889ca39e3eab80a6b.jpg

And a 180 gr Accubond 300 win mag, coal 3.30
69a61a2079518c49a9cc84b5b868f1dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am using the MDT 3.56 magazines that I purchased through XLR.

I am not sure what @XLR means by the long action magazines being finicky as I have had zero issues and have not adjusted the lips on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love it! We have had customers reach out in the past who did have to adjust feed lips. Magazines are super inconsistent due to how they are manufactured so some of them work great and don't need any adjusting while others require some tuning. Glad to hear yours is working well though!

OP
Ferrulewax
Still second guessing my decision- is anyone aware of a flush or polymer magazine for the tikka LA? I just hate how heavy and bulky the metal 5 rounder looks. I may end up with a SA tikka chassis just due to magazine availability

Still second guessing my decision- is anyone aware of a flush or polymer magazine for the tikka LA? I just hate how heavy and bulky the metal 5 rounder looks. I may end up with a SA tikka chassis just due to magazine availability
mdt just came out with a 3 round poly for 300 wm.

but the metal ones were 3.560" magazine: 3.480" COAL for tikka LA
these ones are 3.630". Can you still use these new poly 3 round on a tikka LA in a chassis?

EDIT DOESNT WORK FOR TIKKA i had asked MDT and they said it doesn't work for tikka

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Justin at Kinport Peak Rifles in ID does a great job shortening a 5rd to a 3rd mag. I will say, carrying around a metal chassis is a cold sumbitch in the hand once it gets freezing out. I have a lot of chassis rifles, mainly comp rigs, but have a few light ones too in xlr magnesium and a mdt Hnt26. The hnt26 feels better to me, has a better folder, and is more comfortable to carry in the cold, carbon VS metal. I do prefer a more traditional stock on a hunting rifle after trying a chassis for a few years.

z987k

WKR
As far as feeding, I had no issues feeding 7saum through the mdt 300wm tikka mag. Bullets seated long.
IMO a tikka with a medium length cartridge like a saum, wsm, 6.5prc, 6.8w is the perfect combo.

khuber84

WKR
I've ran 6.5 prc and 6.5 Sherman max from the mdt 3.54" mags no problem in an xlr long action Tikka chassis as well.