Chasing that WA 20+lber (dub-club) Steelhead

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Who here has got a true 20lb or bigger steelhead. The 40"×20"+ or my personal favorite the football shaped ones 38"×22"+. Lived in WA since 2015, and while I have hooked a few, and watched them head back to the salt laughing the entire way that 20 still alludes me. Despite multiple friends finding a couple each every year.

With some regulations loosening up a bit this year, and being able to fish from a floating device on some of my favorite rivers I'm hoping this is the year. I'll usually spend 25-35 days chasing these magnificent fish on coastal streems each winter/spring. While catching minnows is my go too, and one thing I'm good at I can't get enough of chasing those giant ones.

IMG_9372.jpg
received_1047955695794139.jpg

TripleJ

WKR
My personal best was a 37” buck that had to be released without weighing it. Definitely under 20. I have only hooked 1 in my life that looked to be over 20#, but the hook pulled out after about 10 minutes. My buddy and I have both caught a lot of fish and got a really good look at that one, we both felt pretty confident it was 20+. It was a big wild winter run on a small coastal stream.

OP
Kyle C

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
My personal best was a 37” buck that had to be released without weighing it. Definitely under 20. I have only hooked 1 in my life that looked to be over 20#, but the hook pulled out after about 10 minutes. My buddy and I have both caught a lot of fish and got a really good look at that one, we both felt pretty confident it was 20+. It was a big wild winter run on a small coastal stream.
Those big coastal fish are something else. I've noticed hooking them is one thing (especially first boat down), but landing them and keeping a hook anchored is a hole different story.