Changing my stock out? Will it affect accuracy?

repins05

WKR
I am wanting to change my stock out on my long range rifle. It is a tack driver. I have a .18 3 shot group with it at 100 yards and can somewhat consistently get a 1/4" 3 round group. Common sense tells me not to change the stock out. However, I keep thinking that I would like to swap it out with a carbon fiber Mcmillan Game Warden 2.0 (which I have on another rifle and am very comfortable with). I am thinking in theory.... that swapping the stock out (professionally installed) will not affect the accuracy? Thoughts?

According to McMillan their inletting is so good no bedding is required, just insure you torque the action screws to the proper spec. I used McMillan's recommended specs.

While not a uber tack driver, I've got a Dirty-'06 Xbolt that I swapped over to a Game Warden 2.0 and my 10 shot group averages shrunk about .2" (going from .75-.8" to .6"). My main reason for the swap was I was getting some barrel interference with the factory stock when running a suppressor that caused my groups to grow to 1.25" or so.

Wapiti1

WKR
If the current stock is bedded correctly (stress free), and the barrel is full floated beyond the cylinder portion, then you can swap stocks. The new stock must have the same bedding. i.e. stress free, and the same barrel support if any. However, you could see a difference if you go from aluminum bedded to fiberglass. There is a stiffness difference at the action, but it will be small.

If swapping like stock for like stock, then you will see no difference or minimal with proper bedding.

Jeremy

t_carlson

WKR
It shouldn't have an impact, but there's still a little black magic involved in these things.

SloppyJ

WKR
The answer is that no one knows. There are too many variables to say one way or another. There shouldn't be any loss of accuracy but who knows what sort of inletting you'll have or how much tweaking you'll have to do to get it fit correctly? Depends on how good the stock is that you're buying and how well your action fits their inlet.

If my rifle were shooting that, I wouldn't touch it. But that's just me. What are you working with and what are you wanting?

manitou1

WKR
I had a stock X bolt that shot 3/8-1/2" all the time. Put a McMillen on it and the group size doubled... and the felt recoil increased quite a bit.
It may be an anomoly, but I sold the Mc and put the old factory stock back on. Still have that gun and is still my most consistent shooter.

SloppyJ

WKR
I had a stock X bolt that shot 3/8-1/2" all the time. Put a McMillen on it and the group size doubled... and the felt recoil increased quite a bit.
It may be an anomoly, but I sold the Mc and put the old factory stock back on. Still have that gun and is still my most consistent shooter.
What stock did you go with from McMillan and what did you pull off? There's a bit of science behind a stock's design.

manitou1

WKR
What stock did you go with from McMillan and what did you pull off? There's a bit of science behind a stock's design.
I had the factory X bolt stock (stalker type).
Whatever McMillan had out then was the ONLY stock they made for the Xbolt.

I am no stranger to rifles and have modified them for decades. Built my custom.

The Mcmillan was not showing any faults... no pressure points, etc. It was just not as accurate. Likely it just wasn't for me.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
I currently have a McMillan game warden fiberglass stock on it. I would like to put a fiberglass Mcmillan game warden 2.0 on it.

I get a better cheek weld with the 2.0. I also like the finger and thumb rest.

Last edited:

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
As long as it’s bedded correctly there should be no change in accuracy. But you may also find yourself changing set ups or positions when shooting a new stock and that could either hurt or help. Won’t know until you try!

OP
R

repins05

WKR
it’s that “black magic” factor above that was mentioned that has me going back and forth. Shouldn’t affect accuracy but for what ever reason does. My gunsmith used the words “should be fine”. Just going to have to do it and find out. If it wasn’t for the $$$ would have tried a long time go. Lol.