Changed up the load in the 7 rem mag - exciting results

270quest

WKR
As I have posted on here numerous times, over the last 5 or so years, I have hunted a lot with a Tikka 7 rem mag shooting 150 scenars at 3150-60 FPS. That rifle/load combo between myself, family, and friends has accounted for 19 different animals (Mule Deer, elk, Shiras Moose, Antelope, black bear) Shots have ranged from around 75 yards on a Deer, to 636 on a 5 point bull elk. Also tipped over a shiras moose at around 300 yards. In short - some people call scenars target bullets - I call them killing bullets. They smash thru bone.

The load I had been shooting was fed by IMR 8133. That powder was discontinued a few years ago, but I had loaded up and have 5-6 pounds lying around. Mainly out of curiosity to try something new, a couple weeks ago, I thought I would load up a different powder and see what it would do. I have 8# of IMR 7828 which is a pretty good option for the old 7 mag. So, I found load data from Nosler, worked up some loads and headed to the range.

The IMR gave me an average of 3302 FPS...out of 30 rounds shot, low velocity was 3296, High was 3324. Primers where flat, but no excessive brass flow or marks - basically no room to go up at all but looked like a solid max load. This was in 85 degree weather as well. Like any other ammo that went thru this rifle, it produces tight 10 shot clusters (around 1.4-1.5") - which is nice, but I care more about what the bullet is doing at distance.

Set the gongs (8") up at 400 and 600 to validate velocity based on drops. 5/5 on the 400 yard gong, 5/6 on 600 (misread the wind on a shot) but everything tells me these 150 scenars are leaving right around 3300 FPS.

Very tempted to make the switch this fall and sling these a bit faster. A 150 long sleek scenar at that velocity in the 5000-8500 elevation I hunt will carry killing velocity way out there - further than I am willing to shoot.

Side Note - The rifle is a Superlite that has a radial brake, sets in a McMillan Sako Classic stock (was all black, sent to McMillan this winter for a new paint job of grey with black speckles). Has an aftermarket bolt handle, pic base, Zeiss rings, and a 4-16x50 ZMOA2 scope. The first year I had it, it had a NF 2.5-10X42, but I was less than impressed with the optics so down the road it went for the Zeiss. Zeiss has been rock solid, hasn't lost zero, dials accurately, and the glass and eye relief is leaps and bounds better than the NF it replaced - at least in my eyes.

sdupontjr

WKR
I run the 155's in both my T3 and CTR 308. I have been looking for the 150's for my 7 mag since around February of this year and found nothing. Plenty of 180's but my 9.5 twist will have some issues, so I'm told from others experiences. Is there any particular place that you're finding these 150's?

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
I bought a 1000 of them a few years ago...Grafs and Sons was having a sale. Thats usually who I get scenar bullets thru (139s, 150s)