Cerakoting a barrel question?

colersu22

WKR
I'm getting ready to pick up a new rifle and I'm leaning towards the tikka t3 series. I was planning on cerakoting the barrel flat dark earth and having the stock hydro dipped.

Is it a better idea to get the tikka t3 lite with a blued barrel to have cerakoted or would it be better to just get the stainless model? I will mainly use this rifle for Bear and deer in Washington and deer in Idaho.

Thanks,

Chris

FURMAN

WKR
I agree with the others. If you are coating it save the money.

Nuke Man

WKR
I went stainless with mine. You still can have rust issues in the bore with blued and coated. I also had the bolt and action cerakoted.
I also had the stock dipped. If I did it again I'd have the whole thing cerakoted. The dip makes the stock pretty slick especially when wet. It also does not hold up near as well as cerakote.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
I went stainless with mine. You still can have rust issues in the bore with blued and coated. I also had the bolt and action cerakoted.
I also had the stock dipped. If I did it again I'd have the whole thing cerakoted. The dip makes the stock pretty slick especially when wet. It also does not hold up near as well as cerakote.

I didn't think about the dip making the stock slick. I have no personal experience with hydro dipping just a couple buddies that have had it done to duck hunting guns. I called a gunsmith and he said $250 to cerakote all the metal pieces (bolt, action and barrel) and I was going to have his install a brake/thread the barrel at the same time. Ill have to read more about the hydro dipping since being slick seems like a bad combo.

dotman

WKR
I only know one guy that has had his rifle dipped and he had to have it redone once because it flaked immediately and now needs it again after a year and the company went out of business. I personally would get it painted over being dipped.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
Yeah I was looking at Brock's tikka build and was thinking of painting it but thought it would look nicer being dipped. I know my buddy hunts all turkey and duck season and his hydro dipped 870 still looks good after 4 seasons. Painting it would be the more economical option though.

Daniel_M

WKR

Did you hydrodip guy clear coat the stock after dipping? I had my Kimber done and don't find it slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuke Man

WKR
Honestly I'd just rattle can the stock. I've had about every form of coating on multiple different weapon platforms. I prefer the $ of rustolium and the ability to easily touch it up any time I want or need to. If done right it will last a long time on metal, plastic it wears more easily. But really it is just as durable as hydro dip. Now I wouldn't rattle can a $2800 cooper but all my AR platforms are rustolium.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
I love the look of that tikka Nuke Man, I saw it in Brocks tikka build thread and that's what made me want to cerakote the barrel and have the stock dipped

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
I was planning on getting a 7mm rem mag tomorrow morning. I was having a hard time deciding between 30-06, 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. When it comes to rifles everything is foreign to me since I mainly use a bow. I have a cheap savage axis in 30-06 but I am not very happy with the stock or the trigger and no one makes aftermarket parts for the older axis so I figured I would upgrade.

Nuke Man

WKR
Yea, this one is a 300 win mag. After this picture I've added a mountain tactical picatinny rail and simms recoil pad. Both very worthy upgrades. Those Warn rings didn't hold up to the recoil.

OP
colersu22

colersu22

WKR
I was thinking of getting the talley light weight rings after reading another build on here. I don't think I will be shooting far enough to need the 20MOA rail. I plan to stay under 400 yards since I have never shot past that I am not super comfortable at greater distances.

Nuke Man

WKR
20moa rail wouldn't be a hindrance. I prefer pic rails over the Tikka "rail" system. Also there are alot more choices for rings that mount up to pic rails. I haven't tried Tally rings, but I destroy the Warn Maximas. The problem is you can't torque the bases down over 25 inch pounds due to the design. I use all Seekins Precision rings now.

GKPrice

Banned
I only know one guy that has had his rifle dipped and he had to have it redone once because it flaked immediately and now needs it again after a year and the company went out of business. I personally would get it painted over being dipped.

Agree with that ! I use an epoxy spray paint call "FIRM FOOT" that has texture in it,it's designed as a decking paint, makes an awesome stock surface to handle and the paint is much tougher than a dipped coating (but it is still "paint") I've had all stock coatings I've ever known about including a couple coated by B&C and I've not seen anything that is immuned to a chip or scratch but the FIRM FOOT paint doesn't rub or wear off for sure (somewhat limited color choices though)