cerakote then issues?

2-Stix

WKR
Has anymore had a barrel and action cerakoted and then had to change ammo or not had good groups after?

I had a .308 Tikka coated...went from liking 150gr to 165gr after...I figured barrel harmonics. Unfortunalty the first pass had orange peal texture, had to move to 165gr, hunted...then had it redone, wrong color and then it was done again and now the groups grew 1/2".

Anyone else have this happen?

JjamesIII

WKR
Never had an issue on several diy cerakote jobs. I did a couple of actions internally as well as left some chambers bare. I didn’t really like how the bolt felt afterwards, so now I will not coat the internal parts. I was careful to separate the barrel from the action and plug the area where the bolt lugs lock so no cerakote would mess up those tolerances.
My experience with cerakoted rifles both factory applied as well as my meticulously done diy jobs has not altered accuracy, but the durability of the coating is not what all their test seem to have lead me to believe in real world use. I take care of my guns, but the coating wears only slightly better than blueing, and a lot worse than my dipped Benelli sbe 2, which I do treat like a duck gun as far as hard use is concerned. I guess anything with optics makes me handle it more carefully.

OP
2-Stix

2-Stix

WKR
They said the bore was plugged. But it feels different.

11boo

WKR
Check all mounting points . Bolts need torqued properly, sounds like your coating guy was a hack with paint, possibly with a torque wrench too.

SDHNTR

WKR
Cerakote didn't cause your issues. Different action screw torque before vs after likely did.